General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 accord cluster removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Default 1990 accord cluster removal?

Sup fella's

Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove the gauge cluster from a 1990 honda accord?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2005, 01:24 PM
4drwithspeed
Unregistered
Default RE: 1990 accord cluster removal?

holy crap man your in for a treat. hope youve got a lot of patience for this one. i did an interior swap in my 90 accord and had to pull out too. first what you do is remove all of the retaining screws on the consol (be careful if you have an aftermarket security system and the little LED is there and you will have to cut the wires and re-wire later) there all lots of screws trust me. lol grrr. i learned the hard way DO NOT FORCE IT OFF it comes off gently. once all screws are off it should come off. Now to the fun part. the thing that makes this a lot easier is to lower the steering wheel to the floor. and no i don't mean to just lower it with the lever i mean break into the main steering columb and remove the U-clamp if you will to lower the steering wheel. the next is easy. next you unscrewthe gauges from the dashboard and unclip the two connectors on either side of the gauges and pull out SLOWLY. SLOWLY tilt the top out and the bottom end in to reaveal yet another connector this one is a bit tricky if you have big fingers i had my wife do this one (plus by this time i have lost my temper) once that is out it comes out nice and easy. REMEMBER SLOWLY!!!
Oh one more thing. all of the buttons on the console (cruise, sunroof, hazard, defrost, and dimmer) need to be out and unplugged before console removal. i have found that the dimmer is the hardest all come out easy with a very thin screwdriver and or a pocket knife. good luck and if you need anymore help i talk on the phone alot easier than i do with the key board. my email is jjfordham@hotmail.com let me know if you need anymore help with it