Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
the small wires in the bottom right are the ELD wires. the ELD is under the fuse box.

motor grounding is paramount. upgrade engine block to chassis ground.
Could you give me some direction on grounding motor to frame?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Sorry if this question has be asked before but will this work on a 2009 Honda Accord coupe i4 I have found the eld and the wires I'm going to use the set up as listed in the first part. My wires are black. Black with red, and white with blue. Black is ground and black with red is 12volts turn on, and white with blue is eld. I'm not trying to mess this up if u can let me know if this will work on my car it would help.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

yes, concept is the same for all ELD years. wire colors may vary, but the purpose is the same. The PCM provides a voltage on one wire and monitors the voltage drop on the other. we intend to simulate the voltage drop which keeps the alt on. to determine the resistor value and wires for your specific vehicle, use a DMM to measure the voltage on the ELD sense wire with no load and with everything on (A/C, fan on high, radio on, dash lights on, etc.).

Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 PM

Hello all,
My name is Darren and I am the owner of Rush Power Systems, since 1985 we have been building custom high amp alternators. We have a customer that is buying a high amp and sent us this link asking us about it. We have done this mod for many years and the rite up here is very correct, and sound. But I thought I would share a little info about the regulator. First, it is very true that this will have a negative effect on MPG, however the Honda design does shorten the battery life, so it may be a trade off, especially on older cars.

But this mod will NOT have any effect on the alternator life span if run constantly. The regulator has 4 wires, to simplify, it is split into two half’s, computer side and plain old stand alone regulator. The regulator set point is 14.3 to 14.8 depending on year, engine, and model. You can actually cut the computer wires to the regulator and it will work just fine, but it will trip a check engine code.

With this mod the regulator will have full control over the alternator and the ECU will stay out of the way. The only way the alternators life will be shortened is if you are pulling more amps than the alternator can produce, in that case it will run at or near full duty cycle and it will generate more heat and that will shorten the life, but this mod will not if the alternator is matched to the load.

Hope that helps answer any questions and enjoy the higher voltage.
Darren Flint
Owner
Rush Power Systems

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

how do I do it with out making the switch and relay?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Richard in Florida
To test the bypass idea in my '99 Accord V6 I came up with this simple idea that takes one minute to try. Check the photo.

Because I didn't have the prescribed 820-ohm resistor on hand, I used a 1K and a 4.7K in parallel which is very close.

I removed the plug from the ELD itself inside the under-hood fusebox. Now the ELD is out of the car's electrical system.

I pushed one resistor lead into green/red wire terminal on the wire end of the connector, and I pushed the other resistor lead into the black wire terminal.

I left the plug loose, NOT plugged back into the ELD. There's plenty of room inside the fusebox to safely tuck away the loose connector.

My alternator now runs all the time, ranging from 14.00 to 14.75. Time will tell, but so far I think I like the difference.

This lash-up is temporary, certainly not something you'd want to leave in place forever.
how did this method work for you so far?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 949
yep, i'm the author of the other thread on Sound Domain also.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
yep, i'm the author of the other thread on Sound Domain also.

ohhhhh snapp!

here is a diagram many by another user. I did NOT make this. redrawn by hatersgonnahate of keep hope alive's original picture.

Attached Thumbnails Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-eld_relaybypassv11.jpg  

Last edited by 949; 11-07-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well guys with the help of keep hope alive, I am also going to do this mod.

the difference is that I am going to not use a relay nor a switch.

to keep it simple I am only going to use the resister.
i guess the idea here is not to use the ELD all together.
per k.h.a. he stated i can unplug the ELD and keep the 3 wire harness off from here on out. all i need to do attach the green/red wire and black wire with the resistor in between.

i want to today to pick up a resistor. they asked what colors are on the resistor and what ohms. i said 820 ohms and gray/red/brown.
they said i needed a fourth color.
i don't know?
well all i do know is that its supposed to be 0.5 watts because on another site it was stated its supposed to be 1/2 watts. correct me if im wrong. i really don't know what the fourth color is supposed to be.

so what they gave me is this.

it has a light blueish tint but i assume its a gray back ground. the band is blue to me / red/ brown/ and a big red band at the end.

if anyone knows how i can test it to make its the right one let me know the steps on a multimeter. before i attempt it on the car itself next week.

here is another pic with different exposure setting. hopefully the bands will show up better.

just took some pics of the fuse box connectors tonight.

Attached Thumbnails Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-img_4780.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-img_4781.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-img_4787.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-img_4785.jpg   Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-img_4789.jpg  

Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass-img_4788.jpg  

Last edited by 949; 11-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda Electrical Load Detection (ELD) Bypass