Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

custom LED work! for 4th gen? Now with pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Default custom LED work! for 4th gen? Now with pics and video

Hey, new to this site, i own a 92 accord.
one day i decided to screw around with leds and see what i could do with them. soo.... i bought like 150 leds off of ebay, pretty bright ones, and started converting my car to led stuffs. i bought LED 1156 and 1157 lights for the rear lights, and i bought two 194 lights for the front. but for the bumper, i decided to custom make them because the led bulbs wouldnt fit in the hole and it wouldnt be bright around the whole bumper light. what i did was drill 16 holes into the bumper light, washed them so that the plastic inside the lights were washed out of there, i glue gunned the leds into the holes, and connected all of the leds to a resistor and hooked it up. at first it wouldnt work because the ecu thought that the lights were burnt out because it was sending so little electricity. so, i decided to hook two 3 ohm 50 watt resistors in series and connected them to the harnesses of the bumper lights and voila, custom white led bumper lights. i first made them on my oem orange ones, and started on my clear bumper lights before i even tested them out, so i have a pair of oem orange ones for sale if anyone wants them. also, i made a custom LED domelight for my car, its sick, its soooo bright. i think i have 16 leds in the dome light section. i dont think anyone i've known with a honda has ever switched their dome light out for a custom LED one! well i can post a how to forum or if you want i can make them for you at a cost if anyone cares so! i will post pictures in a day or so if anyone wants to see what i did.

EDIT:

Here are the videos of the leds in action

http://www.**************/files/hdd2/15555/MOV02574.MPG
http://www.**************/files/hdd2/15555/MOV02573.MPG
http://www.**************/files/hdd2/15555/MOV02572.MPG

tell me what you guys think also again i am selling amber stock ones for 20 bucks + shipping for anyone who wants
the hyper blinking is contributed by my led turn signals in the back, not because of the front ones so if you dont have led backs, you shouldn't worry about hyper blinkage

ALSO, the mpg makes it look like the signals are blinking a lot faster than they should be, thats just because i used a low quality digital camera and its not capturing enough frames so it skips the frames where the bumper signals are off because the leds are instant on and off motions.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:23 AM
Administrator
Default RE: custom LED work! for 4th gen?

Does the car look like the battery will handle the extra drain of power with no problem?

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-09-2006, 05:09 AM

there is no power drain, using leds actually consumes much less power than the original halogen bulbs. therefore meaning that you actually can save that extra power for your sound system and pound like none other.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Any pictures of what they look like? Maybe some of the finished products and some of the LED's at work. Sounds interesting, but maybe a lot of work. I haven't worked with electronics much (resistors, LED's and such), so it might be a little out of my range to do. I learn better by being shown how to do things.

Thanks,

StevePhy

Old 04-09-2006, 03:40 PM

yeah, i'll go post them right now, so brb.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:03 PM

Okay here they are,

these is the place i do my led work, the green board is a pcb ( printed circuit board ) but i found it too hard to cut, so i just use it as like some kind of clip board.

This is a picture of the leds i use and the resistors i used particularly for the orange ones, for my clear ones ( on my car ) i used a bigger resistor so i only needed one resitor to all the leds whereas the orange ones needed one for every i think 4 or 5 leds?

Here is a photo of the soldering gun i use, the glue gun i use to put the leds in place and the soldering flux and the lead free solder ( mind went blank, cant remember the actual term? )

Here is the picture of the finished photo, kind of rough because it doesnt look that great behind it, but then again, its the front part of the bumper signals that matter. You could always put some sort of cover to cover the whole thing, but i didnt feel like spending the extra $

Here is where you actually see the leds inside the bumper signals

Here is the led through the orange/amber oem stock lense

Here is where i had put the resistors, under that black electrical tape on the surface/top

Here is the finished product for both signals.

And just for kicks i'll show you my led dome light cuz i think it rocks!

Enjoy! any questions comments critisims welcome

Old 04-09-2006, 09:11 PM

Looks cool, but hard to do.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:14 PM

its actually pretty simple, just takes some time to do if you havent ever soldered before and have no knowledge of leds. it took me about 20 mins to drill and clean the bumper lighs ( for both ) about 20 mins to glue them on ( both ), about 1.5 hrs to solder all of them and put electrical tape on ( both ) so in all it took me about 4 hours the first time around, and 2 hours the second time around cuz i was more familiar with what i was doing. if anyone needs some basic custom led work ( like the dome light ) give me a pm

Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hey 19accord92! I'm liking your led work! I've done some myself. I made my own custom underlighting for the front and back and one bar under the glove box w/ blue + green l.e.d's, but I am running them off AA batteries so I wouldnt have to mess w/ getting the right resistor and wiring them to anything! I like your work though!

Old 04-10-2006, 05:04 PM

I had been wondering if someone was going to do that... I know enough about electronics to realize that I didn't know enough to get the voltages etc right... *L* The possibilities with that are sweet though... I'd love to grab some plexi-glass and shape it to the size/shape of the rear tailights then tint the inside of it and put some led's behind it.... give it a really nice just smooth look and you wouldn't have to worry about the tint....

One question though, do your clear lights fog up at all? how'd you avoid it?

Quick Reply: custom LED work! for 4th gen? Now with pics and video