Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HID Newb

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: HID Newb

ORIGINAL: AccordLXMaster

and ya kno i bet chu prolly do...but...thing is...i told u in the subject..."NEWB"...but mean hey i got it now...like seriously...and i actually looked up that lil website and oredered me a HID kit i think its like 30 somethin.....basically theres no set way to measure the actual degrees kelvin of a halogen bulb therefore retail cn lie and say they are 8500 yet really they are about 4000..as said most of em dont even reach 5000 the only way u can match color with degrees kelvin is through HID....yessir i told u i got it...

What? Halogen lamps emit a spectra from 600nm to 1500nm, which when converted to Kelvin, is 1950K to 4850K.

THe only way those bulbs will ever emit 6000K, 8500K or 12000K light is with the use of a filter coating on the glass, which in turn, lower the luminosity of the light as you filter out more and more of the spectrum.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea whats going on in here lol. And you should be able to tell if the Pontiac has HIDs just by the out put, but if not you could look at the bulbs and see if their is a ballast and igniter attached

Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 PM

finch what i mean is...when u have the bulb in hand theres no way to tell..or like to go to a store and say hey...do u have a machine that can test the kelvin...thats what i meant...so if u buy a "5000k" when u get it in and u wont actually be able to tell...ull know based off knowledge that it shud be pretty damn bright but nothin that u cud seriously take to court....ya kno??

Old 12-20-2008, 06:19 PM

It doesn't take a trained eye to tell the difference between 6k, 8k, and 12k+. 5000k and 6000k would have to be side by side to really tell. All halogens put out about the same wavelength light, the way they change it is by coating the bulb. When light passes through a color lens, it's not like a dye where it changes it's color. It only allows that wavelength of light through. So only the blue in the light passes through. If you were to take a green LED and shine it through a brake light barley any light at all would come through if any. I don't really understand what your arguing, is that you get it? Because you obviously don't get it if you have to ask if your mom's car has HIDs....

Old 12-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Hmmm...I havent even read this thread in a while..and it seems to me,for all the right reasons.accordlxmaster,I hope you truly do understand what HIDs are and how they operate,and not just want them because Skip from down the block has them,and you want to
1up him.

If you actually take time to do a bit of self reasoning and "reaserch" you would not only benefit yourself,but will aslo help others not percive you as an ignorant person who believes HIDs can be found at Wal-mart..By ay means Dont take this the wrong way...

Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

You can tell the K difference by looking at them. Anyone ever seen a 3000K bulb? VERY cool looking.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: live2rice

I have no idea whats going on in here lol. And you should be able to tell if the Pontiac has HIDs just by the out put, but if not you could look at the bulbs and see if their is a ballast and igniter attached
or if they take about 5-6 seconds to comeon

Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 AM

They only take that long to come on if you have a crappy set or the ignitor is bad.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 AM

now look i know what HIDs are and the statement when i said u ant identify them right off the bat....t00fatt u said...[[It doesn't take a trained eye to tell the difference between 6k, 8k, and 12k+. 5000k and 6000k would have to be side by side to really tell.]] and u are indeed correct im not knockin that but what i am saying is that u cant be positive that you know exactly what the K is....ya kno??..like say if i walked up to you...said here...a 10000k bulb and a 8000k bulb....u wudnt be able to tell the difference "too much" and if by some way u do say ok here i have the answer this is the 8000 and this is the 10000 u wudnt be able to tell if i was lying about the actual K value or not...it couldve been 10000 and 12000 ya kno??..thats all im sayin...not unless u have the most photographic memory in the world u cant tell 100% what they are as far as "IN HAND LOOKING" now when you go to researching the actual "light" itself then yes they are major differences noticed by the human eye....u get wat im sayin??

Old 12-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

In response to you saying that "you shouldnt let such a powerful car go to waste" (talking about a Pontiac) I would submit to you that that is exactly what you should do with a Pontiac. Let it sit and just rust up. Or sell it to a girl named Tammy with a bleached mullet with styled bangs and buy a real car. Either that or tell your friends you got a sick new "Ac" and then roll up in the Ponty and watch the look on their faces when it is not a TL. And I am saying this as a lover of almost all cars but for some reason any Pontiac from the 80's on I just hate.

Quick Reply: HID Newb