Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

NEED HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default NEED HELP ASAP!

Okay, so I am trying to install my relay harness for my hids. The harness has a total of 4 headlight plugs and two terminal spades.

For each headlight I plugged the male end of the relay into the female end of the ballast. Then I plugged the female end into the wires leading to the bulb. I then put the terminals on the correct terminal of the battery.

I turned my headlights on and they didnt light up. I unplugged them and plugged the HIDs directly into the ballast and the passenger side works, but the dirvers didnt. Then when I touched/moved the drivers side ballast my high beam on my dirvers side came on. What the heck?
PLEASE HELP

Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: NEED HELP ASAP!

UPDATE: The passenger side is fine (w/o the relay). But when I touch the drivers side ballast to the metal frame by halogen drivers side light comes on. When I turn the lights on the drivers side flashes on but only for a second and then shuts off.

HELP

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The driver's side sounds like you don't have a good ground. Try sanding the metal where you are grounding. Also, it sounds like you just hooked up the relays wrong.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:17 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I didnt have to ground anything. It was plug and play. Though I did switch the wires....if the positive and negative wires going into the ballast were touching, would that make the high beam come on?

How am I supposed to hook up the relay? lol Am I not supposed to put the grounding wire on the battery?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM

The relay has 2 lines, a control and a power. The control line has a coil for resistance so it pulls less than 0.5A in most cases. The control line goes from the OEM headlight lead through the relay, to ground. The power side gets +12V on one side and the ballast on the other. Tough to diagnose electronics without seeing the car.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright, I think the wires may have been touching. I am going to dab some hot glue between the bare wires so they stay apart, then wrap them up again.

As far as the relay goes.... it looks like this assuming I can upload a pic.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Heres a drawing

[IMG]local://upfiles/3187/7DDC69B5228E4B99A8AD777AB115EF77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

One line is alot longer than the other. So I am assuming the two plugs off the long line are for the ballast and oem plug which would make sense because it would go between the OEM headlight plug and the HID ballast plug.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Well the drawing seems simple enough. The fused wire is definately +12V, the female pulgs are to the OEM connectors and the male is to the ballast ..... that only leaves ground.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:21 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hmmm....alright, ill try to clean it off and see if that helps.

Falkore, thanks for your help!
I still cant get the drivers side ballast to keep the HID on. I had to swith the + and - wire leading into the ballast. I even put hot glue between the two wires. It ignites but instantly goes off right after. In about a 1 second span. The solder joints look really good, and I cant see any wires touching.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP!