Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

whats the point of carbon fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Default RE: whats the point of carbon fiber?

i like the CF look alot especially the CF hoods. and yes i watched a racing movie( mighta been from 1320video.com) and the trunk lid was only like 3 pounds cuz it was CF, no performance gain there but thats like nothing for the engine to haul after that.
in reply to smaglik about CF on everything, the video had a fully chrome(think it was BMW) car on it also which looked really cool and prolly super expensive.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:06 AM

o the movie was Mischief

Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have seen a chrome M3 on the web before. ick.

A CF hood, trunk, or especially a roof can help performance tremendously, as it will drop the overall weight, as well as drop the center of gravity. However, some parts are more for show than for go (not that there is anythign wrong with that).

Old 05-10-2007, 03:23 PM

having a CF hood will help alleviate oversteer, which our cars are known for. especially when you add 80 lbs from an engine swap, the 35lbs difference in the CF hood makes a little difference. i just painted mine.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:32 PM

The other thing is, if you have like a professional race car, and the whole body of the car, along with like the dashboard and seat and everything else is made out of carbon fiber, then you are looking at serious performance gains. The other thing is that really really expensive carbon fiber aero kits, such as Mugen for us, and like AC Schnitzer for BMW's are built with really strong carbon fiber and thus can add tremendous ammounts of downforce. Carbon fiber is exceptionally strong, so for things like difusers and wings that actually have function, it is a must.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 PM

i forgot to mention my short ram is CF as well. CF resists heat very well so its the perfect material for an intake, tho plastic is probably just as good. supposedly, because of this, underhood temperatures might be reduced since the CF can't hold on to the heat like metal. maybe adding a little more performance, but dont quote me on that.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM

What kind of intake do you have lol? Is it like fully CF, like a multi-ply tube ?

Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 PM

this pic a little old but most of the stuff is still there. fully CF? i think so? lol, what other kind is there?
Name:  EngineBayZ.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  83.4 KB

Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Nice, clean setup you got there.

CF looks awesome on darker colored cars, with the exception of silver. Everything looks decent on silver. It's the neutral color.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 PM

That's pretty sweet Velocifero... I like the total setup of your car man, it's clean, and tastfully done. Nice H22 btw, how difficult was that swap?

Quick Reply: whats the point of carbon fiber?