Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Large diameter speakers in doors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Default Large diameter speakers in doors?

Has anyone tried to mount a 7" speaker in the door? I'm looking to install a Dynaudio MW162 GT. I know I'm good on depth, but with the way the speaker area is molded into the door panel, I wasn't sure about the diameter. Any suggestions?

BTW, I have an 05 EX v6 automatic.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Large diameter speakers in doors?

good luck! I have 6.5"'s and they're custom fit. Many 6.5's won't fit.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 AM

What exactly didn't fit?

On my 96 Civic, I cut out the plastic pods that were part of the door card that the factory speakers mounted to, and bolted baffles to the actual door itself.

Did you do that in yours, or did you just remove the grill and install the speakers in the stock locations?

I'm just worried b/c the door card is pretty contoured around the mid. I may have to use something like a heat gun and coax a little more space out of the door.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM

this is for a Civic?!? I custom modified the mounts. The magnet doesn't fit. Please fix your signature ..... I can't see it!!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 PM

This is for an Accord. I had a Civic, and that's how I got 7" AA poly mids in there. I was using that as an analogy to clarify what I'm trying to do in the Accord. I wanted to make sure I understood which way you mounted them.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 PM

I cut, melted and ground off all of the basket and some of the bracket and black silicone'd the speaker basket to my modified bracket. Also, these are MB Quartz entry level components which are shallower than a lot of what I've seen people try to squeeze in there. I had no magnet issues, but I've heard that some speakers need you to cut the inner door metal to fit the diameter of the new magnet.

Thanks for the sig!

Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM

if the door panel has enough room and depth isn't an issue then you can cut the hole bigger

Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 PM

My question is why bother?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 PM

b/c otherwise you have the thickness of your spacer rings of the speaker covered pretty snug in a tunnel. If you can flare it out, it *insert correct technical answer here*.

k, i don't remember why, but it's a good thing to do. I had to cut the metal on the doors of my Civic, but it was worth it.

and thanks for the help. I was just worried about the contoured door card fitting correctly.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM

What I meant is why not use a smaller speaker? My install doesn't hit anything, but like I said, fully custom. My gf's 5.25" Polk db 2-ways sound great and went in in about 20 minutes, plus cutting grinding and cleaning the baskets. MacLeod is competing with a set of high end Polk 5.25 components. I simply don't think that the extra half inch over my MB's is worth the effort. The speaker basket is snug to the bracket as is .... well, attached now!

Quick Reply: Large diameter speakers in doors?