Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

best car wax (exterior)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Default RE: best car wax (exterior)

LOL good point falklore. Thanks guys ur all awesome

Old 09-17-2007, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

hmmm .... why worry about small rocks when your car repels bricks?

I don't think a wax gives much protection against chips.
*ROFL* That's great.... That's one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while... I'm half tempted to put that in a signature line....

Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM

No ... what I meant is that after you apply one of the polymer products, you can't get it off of the paint. It's not pointless, but I prefer to use products that if I screw up for one reason or another, I can correct it.
There are hundreds of polymer products. What you need to clarify is the over the counter products YOU are using are hard to get off. Don't clump them all together because they are notall the same. There are some superb polymer products out there, I know because I use some of them and they are easy on, easy off, with outstanding looks and durability.

I do agree that auto finish products containing teflon are a joke.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: loki

All of you have new cars with "clear coat", waxing is really not what you should be doing, the wax clings to the surface and collects dirt and after time will yellow somewhat. Then what one has to do is use a cleaner to get it off so you can put more on--what a plan--. The mothers Synwax is an engineered synthetic polymer, not a wax,and guess what so is your clear coat, so in effect you are coating with a clear coat polymer, and the finish will look like glass and feel the same. When in between if applications of 'ICE' spray is used, it to is a synthetic polymer and will remove any water marks if they appear. ICE is made by Turtle Wax an excellent product also. ICE also has a car wash soap that does not have any wax. If you do get any of the polymers you need to remove them with a microfiber cloth as directed on the label. So do yourself a favor and get out of the 'wax business' By the way both product remove very easily. I know that there are other products out there that are also polymers and are just as good.
If you are using Simonize from the 50's & 60's you are correct. Modern waxes (true wax) do not yellow. Personally I am in favor of sealants but many top detailers use a spray wax, such as Optimum, for the last topper. I'm far from a top detailer but I use wax upon customer request. Sometimesit's usedon my own car after the sealant bonds to the paint. Optimum is a blend of Canauba and Polymers and it is the easiestapplying,best looking waxyou have ever used.The paste waxes have come a long way also. Not knocking your choice of product just putting a little correction into the mix.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I wasn't refering to the application, I meant that polimers are hard to remove should you need to. I'm aware that they provide a nice finish and that there are hundreds of these products, but I still prefer non-polimer products. My finishing spray is a polimer, but it doesn't last nearly as long as a "waxing" polimer product.

BTW - Teflon is great for pots and pans!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM

The only pot/pan that should ever contain teflon is a saute or omlette pan.... (yes this is way off topic)

Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM

I wasn't refering to the application, I meant that polimers are hard to remove should you need to. I'm aware that they provide a nice finish and that there are hundreds of these products, but I still prefer non-polimer products. My finishing spray is a polimer, but it doesn't last nearly as long as a "waxing" polimer product.

BTW - Teflon is great for pots and pans!
I gotcha now. I've had no problems stripping them off at all. A decent buffer and a good polish will take the paint down to squeaky clean in short order. There are also chemical cleaners like Klasse AIO that will remove it.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM

That cleaner is good to know about; thanks! I never thought of a wax washing chemical .... gonna look it up after I'm done on HAF. I'm not an autobody tech and I don't trust myself with a rotory buffer. I have a small orbital that I use mostly for my leather and other people's cars. Also, I hardly polish at all. The last time I did was when I claybar'd the car bout a year and a half ago ... with the amount of spray detailing and waxing I do it's not necessary. I guess I just had a few bad experiences with the poly waxes a long time ago and have been happy with what I've been using.

What poly-wax do you recommend? I'll give it a try and let you know what I think. Also what about polish .... just good to have around (17 yr. old sister has already needed a bunch of marks removed).

Old 09-19-2007, 07:37 AM

Poorboy's SSR 2.5 and 1 are my go to polishes but a Porter Cable or Cyclo buffer is required. I don't know of any that work well by hand. The three from Optimum are tops but again, gotta have a decent buffer/polisher. Two product that I use are Aqua Wax (a sealant) and Optimum wax (a wax) and they are superb. They are sprays and are easily hand applied. They look their best the day after application.

Klasse AIO can also be applied and removed by hand, super easy to use and leaves a brilliant shine of its own. It must be topped with sealant or wax. Wet Paint (see sticky @ top of this section) is also an excellentcleaner that seals and leaves a brilliant shine. It can be done entirely by hand. You can top it but it isn't required like Klasse AIO.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM

Cool, thanks! I've read about Wet Paint and had planned to try it out. So for polishing, the orbital is no good?

Quick Reply: best car wax (exterior)