Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Best Window Cleaner + wax?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 01:56 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Best Window Cleaner + wax?

Just was wondering what the best over the counter window cleaner is? I currently use Stoners w/ a microfiber cloth, but my car windows got attacked by two friends and their lip gloss[sm=kiss.gif] covered lips [sm=smiley17.gif] lol It comes off pretty well with some hard scrubbing, but is there anything better for a reasonable price? Thanks

While on the subject of detailing, has anyone used Meguairs NXP (I think) synthetic wax? Its $14 and was wondering if that was worth it as well. I know you guys like wet paint, but is that comparable?

Old 08-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Best Window Cleaner + wax?

If it's not on tinted windows (aftermarket tint) just use alcohol to remove it. If it is then use Sprayway, it can be found almost at any grocery store or Wal Mart. It is safe for tinted windows. The can is white & blue.

The Meguiers NXT gives a brilliant shine but has a very short life judging by what I have read from those that have used it. I don't have first hand experience with it though.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/932CAF2BFE6E4D1FAEC4844B4B16CCBF.jpg[/IMG]

Here's a product available at some auto parts stores that has been universally praised by the detailing sites. At the top of the page you can click to see which parts stores have it. I'll try some as soon as I can find it in my area. Wet Paint is my "go to" product but I'll always keep an open mind.

http://www.duragloss.com/catalog.asp?catid=89

Old 08-23-2006, 01:43 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thank you for the suggestions, RTexasF. I will pick up some and try it out.

That stinks about the NXP wax...I wish they sold wet paint in stores. Oh well...i've got awhile before I have to wax my car again. Another question though, when or if should you use a polish on your car. I know waxing protects the paint and makes it look great, but does polish just make the paint look great? Thanks

Old 08-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Polishing prepares the surface by removing swirls, marring, and brings out the shine. Wax helps protect the polished surface. One of the (many ) reasons I like Wet Paint is because it also seals the surface and provides a great deal of protection along with a killer shine. If the finish is in good shape you can skip the polish step but most cars need to be polished at least annually. Some car dealers sell WP but you will need to call the toll free number on the WP website to find out if it's available in your area. If not you can order it over the phone.

When you consider that only one or two ounces are needed for an Accord sized vehicle and the container is 32 ounces, you get an idea of how far it will go. Delivered price is around $27 so it's actually quite a bargain. It is not a substitute for polishing if the car needs it but if you don't have access to a buffer it will still enhance the finsh when applied/removed by hand. The fact that it can be used as a waterless wash without causing any scratches is icing on the cake.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:40 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well that was a great deal of help I've never really polished my car before I waxed it...but that will soon change! Thanks for your help again. Though now I am starting to like the sounds of Wet Paint[8D]

Old 09-11-2006, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Well that was a great deal of help I've never really polished my car before I waxed it...but that will soon change! Thanks for your help again. Though now I am starting to like the sounds of Wet Paint[8D]
Look what it did for a $300 paint job that was crapped out: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_2..._2/key_/tm.htm