Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Car waxes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Default Car waxes?

Currently I am using Meguiars Car Wax...but i was wondering if anyone has done some testing with these..and what wax's give the best shine... also what kind of tire shine does anyone use...I usually use a spray on black magic but it doesnt tend to last very long and it also splashes up on the car if its fresh and leaves spots in the paint. Just looking for some input thanks all!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Car waxes?

I use the Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax.....works well for me. It is easy to put on and buff compared to some. I have had real good luck with Eagle One Carnauba paste wax, but it is tougher.

I would recommend using other products before the wax. You can use professional polishes and a buffer but if you don't know what you are doing you can make it look worse. I would recommend to the general user the Meguiar's deep crystal system paint cleaner and polish. It is non-abrasive and would be hard to mess up your paint, but I have had excellent results with it. If you want to be a bit more ambitious, pick up a good clay bar and go at it as per instructions. If you get it looking really good once, it will be a lot easier to keep looking good.

RTexasF recommends the Wet Paint stuff at www.wetpaintglaze.com. I ordered some, but it hasn't shown up yet. So I can't tell you about it.

I personally like the purple tire shine stuff by meguiars that you put on with an applicator. Looks good, will hold up to a little rain too...not that hard to apply.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:54 PM

Although I haven't looked, but you might try looking at Consumer Reports for an unbiased testing of a wide variety of car products.

StevePhy

Old 07-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Administrator

RTexasF and I use WetPaintGlaze only...we know that it's one of the very best..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Meguiars Gold Class Liquid Wax wax my car every 3 months with that........

Old 07-28-2006, 10:31 AM

I totally agree that preparation is the key. You can use the best wax available over a poorly prepared surface and you end up with a shiney crappy looking surface. A glaze helps to produce a bit more shine after polishing and also helps cover and fill scratches/marring that you just can't get out. The picture is a wax that I have and it is quite exceptional. It's expensive but you use so little that it will likely last you ten years or more. Ease of application and removal is childs play.....no effort at all. The car hood is mine. Since discovering Wet Paint it is now my go to product. Why? It's a breeze to use, produces fantastic results, and seals the surface in one shot. If you want a top notch carnauba wax buy the P21S in the picture.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/9E3D2AAE2FED4AA8AFC8311B2151E4B2.jpg[/IMG]

For tires, engines, and wheel wells I use this. Since some of the product gets windblown I always do the tires and wheel wells FIRST, then wash the car. No need to wait for tires and wheelwells to dry, spray it right on the wet surface and watch the water run off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/33070454120E42BA890BDD1CA67D19AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM

Here's a car I detailed two days ago, today being 07/29/06. WP was the final product applied but the hood took one+ hours to prepare. It was full of kitty cat scratches and horrible swirls. This car was an absolute mess inside and out. A little over two months old and never washed!!!! It had been driven to Penn. & back and the front end was bug city. The bugs stained the front end badly but most were removed. 6.5 HOURS on this one with only small breaks for water...... NINE 1/2 liter bottles of Ozarka to be precise. Sore the next day? You bet! The WP was applied with a Porter Cable buffer and white foam pad. Removal was the same except a microfiber bonnet was stretched over a clean pad. It really looked wet and gleamed like a gem but I didn't do a good job of capturing that in the pictures....... I was thoroughly whooped with only a cold beer and cold shower on my mind, in that order. This was all done outside in the sun.

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/0EB8400D001A40E09F84E89F70853B8D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/127/7EFB8D04FF7741319CCDEF1A96E28465.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2006, 11:58 AM

That looks excellent.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:11 PM

Thank You!

Old 07-29-2006, 03:11 PM

Do you think Wet Paint would help my dull paint job come to life? The paint is total garbage. There are mineral deposits that clay bar won't take out (maybe some rubbing compund? haven't tried it yet...) and the clear coat just has no shine to it. I love to detail my car, but I put an hour or two into it and it just never looks the way I want it to.

I think I'm going to just need a new paint job.

Quick Reply: Car waxes?