Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Car waxes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM
Default RE: Car waxes?

ORIGINAL: mbo1985

Do you think Wet Paint would help my dull paint job come to life? The paint is total garbage. There are mineral deposits that clay bar won't take out (maybe some rubbing compund? haven't tried it yet...) and the clear coat just has no shine to it. I love to detail my car, but I put an hour or two into it and it just never looks the way I want it to.

I think I'm going to just need a new paint job.
It might help but without seeing a picture I'm only guessing. If the paint needs compounding/polishing then that needs to be done first. Try doing a section by hand with Meguiars Scratch X to see if the shine returns. If so there's hope.......and a LOT of work ahead of you.

I'm assuming you do not have a mechanical buffer, is that correct?

Old 07-29-2006, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

It might help but without seeing a picture I'm only guessing. If the paint needs compounding/polishing then that needs to be done first. Try doing a section by hand with Meguiars Scratch X to see if the shine returns. If so there's hope.......and a LOT of work ahead of you.

I'm assuming you do not have a mechanical buffer, is that correct?
I do have an electric buffer and I picked up some of that Scratch X. Guess we'll see if the shine returns. If it does, I'll be getting some of that Wet Paint. And if it doesn't return and I just need a new paint job I'll use it in the future. That stuff looks like it works great.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:16 PM

Another product that may help is Color X. Understand that I'm just taking a shot on all this since I can't see the actual condition that the paint is in. Unless the clear coat is peeling off I'm certain that you can make the paint look better. How much better? Don't know.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I waxed my new Accord for the first time today. The salesman who sold me the car told me only use liquid waxes on the paint. I decided to try a new product I've never used before, Turtle Wax ICE Synthetic wax. They had a kit at Pep Boys for $16.00 that included the wax which was the consistancy of water, along with the applicator and microfiber towel. The car looks better now than the day I drove it off the lot! Supposedly this wax will last up to 6 months, we'll see! I also used Eagle One Tire Shine on the Michelin tires that came with the car, they looked sharp! I took photos of the car but they're Kodak Professional Ektachrome Slides since I don't have a digital camera other than the cheap lousy camera on my cell phone! I used plain old Windex to clean the glass with paper towels and the car looks great! Anyone else use Turtle Wax ICE?

Old 08-27-2006, 03:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I use Cali Gold Wax and Tire Shine n Foam. And Purple Power for under the hood.

And....I use a ratty T-shirt to wax....prolly shouldn't, but the results are great.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:53 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: Amtrak288

I used plain old Windex to clean the glass with paper towels and the car looks great! Anyone else use Turtle Wax ICE?
Hi Amtrak!
Just to let you know, cleaners such as Windex are great window cleaners, but the downside is that it dries out the rubber along your windows. Products such as Stoners Invisible Glass cleaner is wonderful and is made to be used on automotive glass and window tint. When using Stoners ($3) and a microfiber cloth ($1 @ wal mart) it creates amazing results. Hope that helps I just dont want your window seals drying out prematurely.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:55 AM

I use ICE on my car. I don't think it is so much a wax as it is a polish, but I could be totally wrong.

The shine looks awesome but with florida's rainy weather in the summer, it really only shines great for a week or so.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:28 AM

03 sleeper-

You have GOT to get another camera! It's as though it has a blue filter over the lens and makes your car look a different color than it really is. Actually, none of the colors look right.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

:/

Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Yeah, I know......easy for me to say right? No disrespect meant but all pictures here and on other forums just make your car look awful and I know that's not the case.

Quick Reply: Car waxes?