Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

Hail damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Hail damage

Actually, I didn't flame you, i was pointing out your inaccuracies... there's a difference... I'll try to keep this to pointing out facts and NOT flaming

Also, you didn't offend me or anyone, I just wanted to point out some facts...

In regards to the volume thing, I misread what you were talking about; i thought you were talking about the volume of the panel on the car... in that respect, you have to understand how silly that sounds... my bad.

Anyway, I didn't flame you with faulty information in fact, it's science...

It's not only more logical to consider that cold water can't boil faster, but is indeed scientifically proven countless times that it is in fact a FALSE CONCEPT that cold water boils faster than warm... It's proven, over and over.. You can easily try the experiment at your home..
You can even invest tens of thousands of dollars into thermodynamic tools it would require to mathematically prove it as well... Not only have I done it with such high-end equipment, but you can find the information free-flowing on the Intarwebs. This is called Physics 101, and is usually the first or second lab experiment you do after class... Something along the order of "Watch Mr. Wizard" type difficulty.

In Thermal Physics (thermodynamics, kinetics, etc) [which my minor in Physics happens to be specialized in; as well as E&M], heating a cooled item and cooling a heated item are completely different, and require completely different things to occur. Sure the end result is technically the same in terms of the thermodynamics, but the kinetics and stat. mech's behind it are not even close in magnitude. You can't say that heating up water to a gas and bringing it back to water are near the same thing, there's so much going on there. There are so many statistical things you have to consider... AND, you have micro and macro states that define what's truly happening at any given moment (think instant velocity). It could certainly play a big role in terms of how effective or damaging these techniques could provide... However without proper equipment, specific stats at hand, and the time/effort to put into it you MIGHT be right that it doesn't matter in the order... However, in the right scenario, it means all the world.

I not only have a Majors in MATH, BUSINESS, and COMPUTER SCIENCE, but I have a minor in Physics. I'm not trying to be a dick, nor am I trying to be difficult; but apparently you were butt-hurt about the facts I presented... So much so that you thought it wise to present a formula. I know you didn't come up with it on your own and copy/pasted it, but the original author remove parameters from it without any stated assumptions.. And BTW in this equation, PV â‰* T; but rather PV/nR = T; there's a HUUUUUGE difference there. I'm not an engineer, but they'd surely argue that all day and night with you.
Also, that proves it to be non-linear in multiple ways, again going to thermal stats. In your examples you're unstated assumption that your gas contains the same number of moles during use; which is not the case. Your "mole usage" will be at a different rate than that of the pressure in the system. Hence why (and you probably didn't have any clue to this) this is called the "Ideal gas law" as it's ideal to find out the real values of a hypothetical mechanical state of a gas. In the stated reference above, he actually ignores the fact that there are about 3 other formulas involved to actually derive to his final equation, all of which are very important.

If I have offended you, then I apologize; however I know I'm right so there's no point in arguing over the internet.
I merely wanted to point out the boiling water tid-bit, and to inform you of the science about what is gong on.

What brought me in closer with some people on this forum, as well as the forum in general, is the attention to details and the accuracy of information portrayed is very important to us. We don't like half-assed answers (unless we're kidding around) and we certainly don't like to guess.. i could be speaking for more people than I should, but this is how I -definitely- am.

Now, back on topic after all that....

If YOU would have read, I've never stated that it doesn't work, or will not work...
In fact, I'm the one who first posted links to said video in this thread. I know it's done, I've seen it done; I know it *can* work.

Also, you don't state exactly which technique you attempted.
And also can you circle your dents in your pictures? I can't make out what's a dent and what's a shadow of a curve or reflection... also since they aren't directly associated with eachother I can't tell which goes with which.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM

I'm still in college and am not majoring or minoring in physics so I guess I have no room to argue.

The technique that I used was applying dry ice to a car that had been heated by the hot NC sun all day.
Here are the before pictures again with circles drawn so you can see the dents. Like I said; they are not very big.

Make sure you click them to see the circles

[IMG]local://upfiles/17119/673C44CCFC744519986CDC7B7BB20BDD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17119/D481E719D3754F3F931AF76078CE8747.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for the pictures and for following up!
It is sort of hard to tell which is which and where the dents were located.

Hmmm...I am debating this or using dry ice. I have a few door dings from stupid people so I am curous if it would work on those.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:41 PM

A little update; I didn't take the time to check up on the dents. It seems they have popped back, when the car heated back up in the sun. No worse, just the same as they were before. I don't think the car was hot enough before I did it. I could have also kept the ice on for longer.
I think this would work if someone wanted to take the time do it right. I just have a couple hundred dents and hate spending that much time.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM
dksix
Unregistered

I don't think the pops a dent will work on dents that small . I've only used on one , but the smallest puller base in the kit I got was 1" . I looks to that the puller would have to be small enough to fit down in the dent for it to pull it out . I could be wrong , like I said just used it once .
BTW , I don't know if hot or cold water freezes faster , but I've found that if I put hot water in my ice trays the cubes come out without breaking and they breakwhen filled with cold water. And that's information I can use , lol . six