Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

****EVERYONE YOU MUST READ****

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Default RE: ****EVERYONE YOU MUST READ****

Thank you all so much for posting back. My check engine light has come on briefly after it was at Honda and now it's off. I'm very confused. Ever since I bought the car last year the check engine light was on and now it's not. So does anyone think that Honda could of done something to my car ECM that would make it so that the codes wouldn't register for a while. When I got my car back I only have 1,000 more miles to go on the warranty. I might be trying to come up with a crazy thought but it's just weird that a new radiator cap fixed the check engine light when it was spitting out nine codes. From what Honda told me alot were back fire codes. I don't know what to think. I know it's nice to not see that stupid orange light anymore. Could my car really be fixed?

Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 PM

well a radiator cap can fail in more ways then what he said... they can actualy spew radiator fluid without ever moving from the radiator (theres a pressure release valve in the cap that lets it control the steam that is created so that ur radiator doesent pop... it random and probably wouldent keep happening like this.. but if SOMEHOW the water got into ur spark plug journals and was superheated to steam it could expand and pop off ur spark plug... but whatever... i agree someones screwing u... just send honda the bill

Old 10-15-2006, 01:23 PM

Hey, Make sure the "check engine" light is lit when you first turn your ignition on, if it is on and then turns off, you're fine. Otherwise... Sometimes people do remove the "check engine" bulb to throw people off. The other thing is that when that light is on for that long, it can also burn out. They are not easy to replace as the whole dash has to come out, so I really wonder if they went through the trouble of doing that.

Hope you get it fixed!

Brendan.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Hondamatic

Hey, Make sure the "check engine" light is lit when you first turn your ignition on, if it is on and then turns off, you're fine. Otherwise... Sometimes people do remove the "check engine" bulb to throw people off. The other thing is that when that light is on for that long, it can also burn out. They are not easy to replace as the whole dash has to come out, so I really wonder if they went through the trouble of doing that.

Hope you get it fixed!

Brendan.

the whole dash does not need to come out ,,only the istrument cluster ,,not that bad of a job

Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sometimes codes will clear after a certain # of drive cycles... they may have just forgotton to reset the light

Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 AM

hopefully that it is fixed, my 96 accord did not for at least 6/7 months having the CEL with the code p1301(i cylinder misfire). a lot of this guys on this forum tried to help with suggestions and i followed most of them. i even purchased a code reader so i could reset the light everytime it comes on. i also replaced my EMS computer thinking that might help. but the light stayed on with the same code.until about 2 months ago it just cleared. i stop resetting the light before that cuz i was getting tired of it so i covered the light area with electrical tape so i would not see it everytime i drive. but as i said,it just cleared itself. i think it was due to the fact that i never let the computer reset itself.i kept on doing that with my code reader. so as someone said,it probably takes a light of drive cycles before it realizes that there is no more fault. and no,my light bulb is not burnt either.i thought it was at first but it is not. you probably need to wait it out until it goes out if it does come back on.