Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2013 Accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Default 2013 Accord won't start

Hi all, Hope someone might be able to help. When I press the brake and and press the start button all light bells and even a loud click for the engine happen, but the car won;t start. I even see the brakes light come on. I do this over and over. Then out of the blue the car will finally start. This happens like every couple weeks, but today I couldn't get it started at all. Sometimes it starts after a few times. So I replaced the battery which was 5yrs old. Still the same issue. So I slammed on the brakes a few times pretty hard, then it started.

Any idea what to check? Could it need a starter? Or cloud it be something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Generally speaking, if you’re getting a consistent click with every attempt but inconsistent cranking, it’s most likely the starter, but there’s a couple things to check first.

Try swapping the starter relays with known good ones (such as the horn or AC clutch).

Disconnect the ignition wire from the starter solenoid. Use a test light to jumper the wire to ground, positioning the light so you can watch it from the driver seat (or have a helper watch the light). Perform several starting attempts - if the light turns on and off as the button is pressed, the starter is at fault.

However, if the light turns on inconsistently, start looking at the control circuit which would be the necessary inputs for the PCM to engage the starter relay.