Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Bogging when I step on it!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Default Bogging when I step on it!!

I own a 90 Honda Accord with a 2.2ltr I have noticed that when I slightly press the gas and I am at a lower RPM, in like 3rd or 4th gear, the engine seems to have a slight lose of power, almost as if it begins missing on one of the cylinders. I am going to investigate shortly and would like a little bit of light shead on the subject. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Bogging when I step on it!!

when dealing with acceleration issues the first thing to consider is fuel and spark etc.

Have you changed your plugs/wires/cap/rotor/fuel filter/air filter lately? does the car run fine at all the other rpm ranges etc?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:44 PM

no just got he car but plan on doing it soon along withthe belts. No other problems at any other RPMs though. i figured it was the spark I had a 89 Grand Am that did the same thing and it took me about six weeks to figure out that there was something wrong with my coil. hope this doesnt turn out that way.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your talking about a problem with your DIS...you dont have one of those on your car....luckily.

you may not have a problem. do you have an ex? or se? i wonder if you have that dual stage intake manifold? cause i know at low rpms my car does something like that when i have the a/c on. it will think about how to put a bunch a fuel into the motor without flooding it so it just slams the butterflies open and then i feel a surge. but thats when i have the gas at about 3/4. if you hear the motor missing then you have a moderate problem that should be fixed right away but if you dont, then you might just want to give it a tune up sometime in the near future. and just like sir nasty said.

plugs (only ngk)
wires
cap
rotor
fuel and air filter.....are a good way to get started on that.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:07 AM

definitely ngk plugs, interesting i thought all cars pre 2000 would have distributors. if new/old hondaowner doesn't have a distributor what does he/she have?

Old 04-20-2006, 12:32 PM

he/she does have a distributor but some have internal coils like my 94.
lishtshow dont you have a H22 because if his/hers is still stock htey dont so they dont have a dual stage intake manifold if i am not mistaken.....i could be wrong but i dont think so. if ii were you i would change out everything nasty listed and then tell us how it runs.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:21 PM

thanks for the info. yeah i have heard that ignition coils are a lot more accurate.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:32 PM

hey everyone thanks for the input. I know that i have the F22A1 motor and that it is stock but I dont know what model it is. The previous owner took all the emblems off and most of the factory stickers are gone. I think it is an ex? maybe. I have been paying alot more attention to when it does it and realized that it only boggs when i am between 1500 and 3000 rpms. anything higher and its fine anything lower is fine. I dont think its missing but who knows, the previous owner put some dookie *** exhaust on there and I can barely hear myself think when I am in it........damn the previous owners! How can I find out about the model type? I also checked the plug wires and they look brand new? So I dont think its the wires dont think they are NGK? Could that be it?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:55 PM

it says VTEC on top right?
if so, your good just change out the rest on nasty's list and you should be good.
i have the same motor, you should also get the valves adjusted that helps alot.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 PM

My motor isnt vtec, unfortunatly. So that make it which model? I have been thinks about doing the valves myself but never been IN it so dont really know what to expect. What does adjusting the valves consist of? Hopefully I can do it on my own!

Quick Reply: Bogging when I step on it!!