Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Broke a timing belt yesterday, 94 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2024 | 12:29 PM
|
Default Broke a timing belt yesterday, 94 Accord LX

Was driving to work yesterday, rolling about 75 on cruise control, car suddenly died and I rolled to a stop on the shoulder. Tried cranking it a couple of times, sounded weird/ no compression, so I figured the timing belt had broken.

Pulled it back to the house, removed the valve cover and upper timing cover and found a cleanly broken Gates timing belt I put on about 120K miles ago.

That's what I get for trying to stretch the recommended interval. I'm at 348,500 now on this Accord, and was planning on changing at 350K. Timing belt was previously changed at 65K (due to age), and 220K. I knew it was past due and should have done it before now.

So, I pulled valve cover, rockers, exhaust manifold, and have removed the 12MM nuts holding the intake manifold on. Removed distributor and unhooked sensor and coolant hoses. Then I tried getting the head bolts out, and managed to round off two of them when the socket worked up under extreme torque with a cheater bar. I've ordered some spiral sockets in the hopes I can get the last two out, but in the meantime, I wait.

This is the first time I've gone this far into an Accord engine. I rebuild several Honda ATV engines down to the crank every year (hobby) and between youtube, the FSM, and forums I've found there isn't much I can't do.

That said, anything further I need to do to get the head off, once I get those last two head bolts out? The intake seems to be pretty firm, so wasn't sure if I need to undo more fasteners to get that loose, or if I can work the head up and out with things as they are.

Plan is to pull the head, and assuming I don't see any cylinder/ piston damage, probably take the head to Memphis and have the it reworked. I've ground valves on ATV engines, but think for a 16 valve (vs two) I'd rather let a pro do the valves and make sure the head is flat.

Anything else I should look at doing while I'm in there? Dad bought this Accord new in 1994. I had a 93 EX coupe from new until 2008ish. I sold it with 360K on it only because Dad gave me this 94 when it got hard for him to get in and out of it. I think the wife was hoping I was finally going to give up the 94 and get something newer, and when she came home to me working on it, she was a little disappointed!

Old Yesterday | 12:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You won't be able to see it but sometimes the rings get damaged with a valve to piston collision.

Old Today | 10:53 AM
|

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
You won't be able to see it but sometimes the rings get damaged with a valve to piston collision.
Any way to check short of tearing the whole engine down and removing the rods from the crank/ pulling the pistons out? I rebuild Honda ATV engines constantly, so I'm not new to engines, just haven't torn into an Accord engine before. Other than a chuck of something coming apart and getting caught between the cylinder wall and piston, how would a ring get damaged by a valve hitting a piston?