Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

H22 swap in a 5 gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM
acordlver
Unregistered
Default H22 swap in a 5 gen?

Yo I have swapped motors and I have attended 2 years of auto tech school so don't use little kid terms.
anyone who swapped h22's in their accords let me know what i'm gonna run into and what to look out for.
This help would be huge to me,I need todecide a budget for the project not including the motor.
anything would be awesome thanks

Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H22 swap in a 5 gen?

just finished up my h22 swap today(still has a few issues but nothing major).

Just a few things to look out for is the distributor is a little tricky to wire up, but other than that its a cake walk. took me more days to figure out how to wire the distributor than to take the old motor out and put the new one in

Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Be aware that Honda changed sensors & stuff from year to year. Over the years & different models, Honda probably had at least 4 different combinations of timing sensors (in the distributor & later some moved to the crank). Even if you use the ECU to match the H22 you swap in,you may have some wiring tofigure outdepending on the year of the donor car.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 AM

Also keep in mind the 94 & 95 4cyl accords were OBDI and the 96 & 97 Accords were OBDII. But I'm sure you will be using a Prelude ECU so that shouldn't matter. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
acordlver
Unregistered

Sounds good... I'm actually going to use hondata s300 computer. They come with base maps but I want to put in crower cams (valve springs and seats etc.). THe distributor info will help I will do some more research before I do the swap to make it go smoother.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
carlmatthew
Unregistered

I've owned my accord with a h-22a for about 2 years now with no problems at all. I'm so impressed by the engine I plan on swapping it in my 96 accord ex. If you search around you can find good H-22a w/5 speed trannys for like $1500.00. It's a pretty simply install, but like live2rice said the distributor is tricky.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: acordlver

Sounds good... I'm actually going to use hondata s300 computer. They come with base maps but I want to put in crower cams (valve springs and seats etc.). THe distributor info will help I will do some more research before I do the swap to make it go smoother.
S300 is a piggy back unit not a stand alone, i would just get a chipped p28 to run with it

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: live2rice

S300 is a piggy back unit not a stand alone, i would just get a chipped p28 to run with it
You really only need the S100 to run a H22 but the S200 is plenty and S300, perhaps overkill. And the Integra P72 ECU is actually a better choice since you dont lose your IABs like with the Civic P28. The IABs, along with VTEC will be adjustable during the tune. Just find someone who know's what they're doing.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Velocifero

ORIGINAL: live2rice

You really only need the S100 to run a H22 but the S200 is plenty and S300, perhaps overkill. And the Integra P72 ECU is actually a better choice since you dont lose your IABs like with the Civic P28. The IABs, along with VTEC will be adjustable during the tune. Just find someone who know's what they're doing.
x2 on the P72. I think a P75 might work as well, depending if you have/want to use the knock sensor ability. I didn't know the H22 had IABs...

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
acordlver
Unregistered

where are you findin h22's with tranny's for $1500 hook me up with a site.
I like the s300 because my buddy used it in his 4gen prelude and I love how easy it is to use(not to mention I can get one for cheap)
Plus I do know what i'm doin... i would rather a more in depth program for the mods I want to do within the next year...

Quick Reply: H22 swap in a 5 gen?