Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

My F22a1 Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012 | 11:54 PM
|
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ouch! But at the same time, there are plenty of women out there that I would prefer them to take care of my car than some of the "guys" I know. I guess I missed the part about a "different" block/engine being used.
I totally agree with that I know a few guys that I would never let do anything to my car. and there are a few girls I could easily trust with my car but honestly a there are a quite a few I know that just fill the gas tank up when it gets low and never worry about anything else unless its making noises, or some light turns on that is usually off. In fact one of my friends wouldn't take care of her civic because it had around 200,000 miles on it and she didn't think it was worth taking care of it because it was at the end of its life anyways, the transmission (automatic) went out quickly. my parents civic has 286,000 miles on it and nothing is wrong with it the engine, transmission, and clutch are the same ones that came from the factory . Its just people like this, usually girls most guys like to fix their cars, that really tick me off.

also I went and got some red high temp paint from checkers and I'm probably just going to do the entire block, head and cover red and then any of the letters are going to be black.

Anyways I finally got my engine block I cleaned some of the junk of it the didn't come off in the hot tank and I have one piston installed the crank is installed other than the oil squirters where in the way of installing the rods well at least in the way of the torque wrench so i took those back mostly because i almost forgot the thrust bearings(that could have been bad). I'll get pictures up tomorrow I'm tired and need to wake up at 6 in the morning for work. so I'll post the rest then.

Old 06-22-2012 | 12:47 AM
|
Newest Of Newbies

I'm finally getting to posting pictures and updating everything.

^ that is what my block looked liked when i got it back.
v installed main bearings

^ cylinders look good.

cleaned the crank.

All of the 10mm bolts holding the oil pump on were 9ft pounds and all of the 12mm bolts were 18ft pounds, and the 10mm bolts on the flexplate side are 9ft pounds.

piston rings on most of the pistons and I manage to snap one of the rings so I need to order some more off ebay. I'll be doing that tomorrow when I can call the merchant and order the oversize rings... sets me back till monday or tuesday. I guess I can start with pulling the other engine apart and start the work on deleting the power steering system, to be honest the only thing I don't like about hondas is that when its really cold it seems that the power steering works against you and since I'm moving to idaho soon it must go.

Old 06-23-2012 | 03:47 PM
|
Newest Of Newbies

While waiting on my new pistons rings to come in I decided to go into a little bit more detail with a video, if you think there is something I didn't cover that you think I should please let me know.

I couldn't figure out how to embed it. :/ so heres the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xGH...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Hackshack; 06-24-2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: first link didn't work because video failed to upload
Old 07-09-2012 | 05:44 PM
|
Newest Of Newbies

I must apologize to anyone who has been following this I already have the engine all back together and its running inside the car. I sort of burnt myself out trying to do everything so quickly and I've been stuck in lazy mode for a while. but luckily i still got pictures and video I'm just now going to get them up here for all of you to see.

Old 07-09-2012 | 05:51 PM
|
Newest Of Newbies
Default Pistons

So I got the pistons in right and its running smoothly so I think I got the pistons facing the right way and the rings in right.

So heres the video on the pistons.

MVI 2584 - YouTube

Old 07-09-2012 | 08:53 PM
|
Newest Of Newbies
Default assembly of the rest of the engine

Name:  IMG_2586.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  91.1 KB

the pistons are all in now.

Name:  IMG_2587.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  129.4 KB

The Head is back on head bolts: 78ft-lbs.

Name:  IMG_2588.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  85.7 KB

timing in and suprisingly it was perfect when i started it. makes me so happy.

Name:  IMG_2589.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  41.6 KB

says up all i have to say it get it as up as you can get it it doesn't have any marks at all... So helpful honda sometimes I want to destroy you for being complicated but it seems to last forever so i won't also 27ft-lbs for the camshaft bolt but what i found our was that once it was finally torqued the camshaft started rotating so I'd say its safe to just tighten it till the camshaft starts turning... but I still recommend you use the right tools in case i'm wrong I don't want your engine to fall apart. I'm not responsible for anything you do with your engine, try all of this at your own risk.

Name:  IMG_2590.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  53.8 KB

the is a little line that i lined up with the bump on the oil pump... it seem to have done the trick.

Name:  IMG_2591.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  32.8 KB

the arrow is supposed to point to the bumps back on the oil pump my was a little more aligned when i was done.

Name:  IMG_2592.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  79.5 KB

31ft lbs for the bolt on the tensioners and there are springs to help tighten the belts. so helpful

Name:  IMG_2593.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  64.9 KB

don't forget your motor mount when your done I almost did!!! that would have been bad when putting the motor back in.

also for the rear balance shaft this is the video i used to help me. 92 accord 2.2 rear balance shaft - YouTube he is right the way it was designed it will only allow a screw driver in one way and it will lock it. so its a whole lot simpler than it seems to be.
hopefully this helps all of you guys.

also the valve cover bolts are 7ft-lbs.

so that pretty much covers my engine rebuild. I'm still going to post the rest getting the motor and stuff out and the the motor and stuff back in.