Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Transmission Issue

Here are some videos that I took of a diagnostic test that I performed last night. This was prompted by Crestmont Toyota on Rt. 23 telling me that there is nothing wrong with my tranny. I "test" drove one of their 2008 tC's for a comparison with my own.

The first 2 videos are in the new car and the 3rd and 4th are in mine.

IMO, this is warranty work and regardless of what is broken or how it is diagnosed, the fact that these 2 E351 trannies don't behave the same way tells me that something is wrong in one of them. Am I wrong?

Please refrain from bashing the dealer or posting anything questionable on this thread, afterall, what I really want here is their help in fixing or replacing this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afo4H7SQDeQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn1pOM3tNWE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPkO3xKSVK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lkfWdZEPf8

Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Default RE: Transmission Issue

It's fairly obvious that there is an issue with your transmission, although I can't specifically tell you what. The car is still under warranty and Crestmont toyota should honor that by fixing, hands down. Did they give you any explanations for the noise and how it is "normal". I can tell you right now that my 6th gens 5 speed with 181k on it and no work ever done on it, does not do the same thing.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:13 PM

They disregarded my test proceedure and also my note that it only happens with fast 4 to 5 shifts .... I later found that this happens when 4th is taken to 4000 or higher. They drove it like a grandma and said it's fine.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I would take them out in the car with you so you can show them the problem. Then ask them to explain its normal.

Oh and I'm sorry but you had this coming:

You should have bought a Honda(all in good fun)

Old 10-02-2008, 04:27 PM

The Scion's tranny has a problem. The Honda's tranny fell apart. Which is worse?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

the AT tranny............psh who care about those anyways

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 PM

God that sounds bad...They better fix that[:@]

Old 10-03-2008, 12:37 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I dont know much about transmissions but that sounds terrible.

One thing though about your comparison, you need to test dive a Scion of the same year. Are the trannys any different between 06-08? My guess is that if you prod deeper into the dealership they will tell you you are comparing a used 06 model to a new 08 model which could have some slight differences and a bunch of other bs.

I agree that you need to take them on a test drive. Everyone drives differently. Any other reported similar tranny problems?

Good luck + keep us updated.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 AM

When I drive the car, I never actually hear that noise unless I do a fast shift from 4 to 5 above 4000 rpms .... which is around 70 in my car. Considering that I drive about 10 miles a day during the week, it doesn't happen that often. As noted, it took me 8 months to figure out that this is a way that I can consistantly reproduce a problem. I and everyone but the dealership say that the 5th gear synchro is shot. Lastly, there are very few differences in any Scion tC ..... 05-09. The differences are: different seat material, 0.2 higher compression pistons (07 on), new MAF sensor (07 on), slightly different gauge paint (as seen in the vids), different grilles, different exterior lights (08-09).

Both transmissions are Toyota E351's.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 AM

You have terrible luck with transmissions bud.

Has anyone ever thought it could be something wrong with the clutch and not the transmission? Although i cannot explain why it would only create the problem going into 5th gear. I believe you are right and it is the transmission.

It sounds to me like the 5th gear syncro is shot (is there an echo in here?)

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue