Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

VTECH question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:42 AM
BigLeagueChew
Unregistered
Default VTECH question!!!

I just purchased a 08 accord EXL v6 coupe, and was just wondering what RPM the v-tech kicks in? I floored it a few times to 65-70 but I cant really make out when its kicking in...

Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: VTECH question!!!

Vtech kicks in whenever someone calls you!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
BigLeagueChew
Unregistered

Good answer :\

Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM

VTEC stands for Variable Timing Electronic Control ..... the one with the H is the phone. The reason that you don't feel it kick in is because your engine has VTC in addition to the VTEC cam. This means that the intake camshaft rotates in relation to the engine to provide a smoother boost in power, aka it doesn't kick in rather it adjusts as the rpms climb.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:51 AM
BigLeagueChew
Unregistered

Yeah I just noticed I threw the H in there...my bad

So will I actually hear the v-tec kick in? Or will I not hear anything? Like my buddy's prelude you can cleary hear at about 5000RPM's his vtec kick in

Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM

You won't hear anything but perhaps that the engine is a bit deeper and throatier. The older B, D, & H series engines didn't have the intermediary controls so you hear them. My 2000 AV6 had the 2 stage control as well and it was definately noticable when VTEC would engage. The newer systems you don't feel an engagement.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe your buddy's Prelude had a 2-stage intake manifold that opens up the secondaries at 5k. That's much easier to hear, and lotsa people think it's the VTEC cross-over.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM

Hey Jim .... were the duplicates your first locked threads? Flex those Mod muscles!!! LOL

Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 PM
BigLeagueChew
Unregistered

thanks alot man...appreciate it

Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM

The reason you can hear the VTEC in your buddy's prelude is because it is DOHC. VTEC does not kick in at a specific RPM on our cars as Falkore said. i kind of doubt it does on Preludes either. i wouldn't be surprised if the sound you hear on your friend's prelude is not in fact the VTEC "kicking in." It probably gets louder because it is reaching the peak of its power band. If your buddy is so convinced his really "kicks in" at 5k rpm and is not just saying that because that is what he has been told by others, do a search for "VTEC indicator light" on this forum and follow the link I posted. Your buddy should be able to rig his own light in his prelude for under $20 and that tells him FOR SURE when VTEC engages. I bet he would be surprised....

Quick Reply: VTECH question!!!