Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

VTECH question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM
BigLeagueChew
Unregistered
Default RE: VTEC question!!!

Thanks for the info....I'm kinda new at all this....I'm just saying when I'm in his car and his pushes it you can hear the engine get alot louder when his rpms hit around 5k...same thing when my other friend had his rsx type s....it would hit 5k and you would really be able to hear the v-tec kick in

Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM

I still doubt it "kicks in" at that high of an RPM. if that were true, the whole VTEC system would basically be pointless for someone other than a racecar driver. i rarelyever take my Accord up to 5k RPM. VTEC engages on accords anywhere beginning at 2,200 RPM as per the video the guy posted on the "VTEC indicator light" thread I posted: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_61725/tm.htm There are also complete instructions on there showing how to DIY.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:28 PM
BigLeagueChew
Unregistered

Gotcha....thanks for your help man

Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

actually guys big league is right, on the prelude(H22) VTEC engages at 4900rpm. Its later in the Prelude than the Accord because the Preludes VTEC is actually ment to make power and not just increase gas mileage. And because the Prelude redlines at 7200rpm instead of the Accords 6250 or whatever it is.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

My old Integra GSR had the 2-stage intake manifold, and when the secondaries ("IAB")opened up that was pretty easy to hear. With an 8k redline you have enough room to take advantage of that. I think the secondaries opened at 5400 or something like that.

The VTEC crossover point was a lot more subtle. You feel that more in terms of discontinuity in power, but not so much a difference in sound.

Some Prelude H-engines have pretty much the same manifold, but I don't know which years/versions of Preludehave that IAB manifold.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

My old Integra GSR had the 2-stage intake manifold, and when the secondaries ("IAB")opened up that was pretty easy to hear. With an 8k redline you have enough room to take advantage of that. I think the secondaries opened at 5400 or something like that.

The VTEC crossover point was a lot more subtle. You feel that more in terms of discontinuity in power, but not so much a difference in sound.

Some Prelude H-engines have pretty much the same manifold, but I don't know which years/versions of Preludehave that IAB manifold.
i know the 97+ ones have secondaires, and maybe the 92-96

Old 03-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: VTECH question!!!

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

i wouldn't be surprised if the sound you hear on your friend's prelude is not in fact the VTEC "kicking in."
Jon: When was the last time you listened to my 0-60 video. You most definately could hear VTEC on my accord. I agree that a lot of people think that other things are it, but on mine, I had the V-AFC and you could hear the change at the exact instant that the VTEC indicator went from green to red.

For the 7th Gen they changed the VTEC system to add the intermediary stage.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:27 AM

OK I stand corrected. hehe I'd still like to see a vid of a VTEC indicator light on a prelude though. Although Ido have to admit, a VTEC indicator light is extremely
Falkore your's had VAFC andpossible every bolt on known to man with some added custom mods. I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear VTEC on yours. On a stock V6 Accordthough - I doubt it.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL .... the only things that I didn't have on there were forced induction and nitrous. ..... anything else wasn't made for the car, like an ignition upgrade. I could've also done a little better than the VAFC, but not for the price.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

LOL .... the only things that I didn't have on there were forced induction and nitrous. ..... anything else wasn't made for the car, like an ignition upgrade. I could've also done a little better than the VAFC, but not for the price.
Lol i just looked at your accord....looks real nice!im not really feeling the taillights but it still looks good!

Quick Reply: VTECH question!!!