General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02 Accord engine revving, stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Exclamation 02 Accord engine revving, stuck in park

I was driving along in stop-and-go traffic - very hot day (97 degrees), so the A/C was blasting. I noticed after a few stops that I was having to press on the brake harder and harder (auto trans) to get the car to stop and the engine was not dropping to the typical idle rpm but staying around 2200. I also noticed the engine temp slowly rising. After about 10 minutes, the engine was "idling" near 3000 rpm when I was stopped and I was getting concerned that I wouldn't be able to push hard enough on the brake to stop pretty soon. I shifted into neutral and the engine began revving even higher. Turned off the A/C thinking this may be causing the engine to continue working even though I wasn't moving. When I shifted back into drive, the car jerked forward about 2 feet despite the fact that I had both feet on the brake. So I tried shifting into park instead of neutral and turning off the engine. It took about 5 seconds for the engine to shut off instead of the usual 2. After about 20 seconds, traffic started moving again, so I started the car and it immediately jumped to about 3200 rpms. With both feet on the brake, I tried shifting into drive, but the button on the shifter would not depress (as if I was not pressing the brake). And now I'm stuck in the middle of the road with the engine revving, unable to get the car out of park. Eventually after trying everything I could think of while being honked and sworn at by 50 drivers as they passed me on the shoulder, I turned off the car and left it sitting there. I spent about 10 minutes talked to a buddy about what was going on expecting my car to be rear ended at any moment, then went back to the car to check the throttle to see if it was stuck or the spring broken. The car started just fine though the check engine light blinked at me a half dozen times before going out. I was able to shift into drive and drive home just fine with no other issues.

Any idea what that was about?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Since the check engine light turned on, I would have the codes read at a place like autozone. Post the code number on here. They start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like p1234.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Default No code

I had the code checked and it came up with nothing. Perhaps I imagined the check engine light? Without a code, does anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 PM
Default Any answers?

Did you get any answers with your engine revving problem? I have a 2004 LX and just experienced the same issue.