General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

02' Accord F23a4 Stalls when Hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:07 PM

The fuel pump is fine. I have checked while the condition is occuring and I have pressure at the regulator. This pump is equal if not better than honda oem.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Happened 3 times this mornign. First time I took the relay out, yea it was hot. I sprayed it down with distilled water for a bit letting it cool then centrifugally removed most of the water and let it air dry for another couple of mins.

I reconnected it and when I went to the on position I heard the click (from the relay) for the fuel pump which charged then stopped. Then as I turned the key to Ignition a heard) another couple of clicks (I am assuming those click’s were for the fuel pump and injectors?). Cranked the engine and still got nothing…

Im starting to get very very frustrated with this as it seems like such a simple part that is causing this major problem. I want to find it and find it cheaply so I can move on.

Im tempted to go grab a for sale sign…

Old 06-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

When did you last change your spark plugs? What brand did you use?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Changed my plugs a little over a year ago with NGK’s. took them out this week and they looked ok, Tips weren’t corroded like that last set started to do, they were slightly white but not too much (white is too hot right?).

I checked the gap and all were within specs, cylinder 3’s plug had a bit of oil on the threads but that cylinder had a minor detonation at 70k miles when the car was turbo’d. Since then it does not burn oil and from the underside with the pan and oil collector off the cylinder walls look fine.

I have an ignition coil that I am going to try today (im sure I will have a stall out). The last several times it has stalled out I tried to restart it right away and sometimes it tried to catch like it was firing on one or two cylinders. One time it ran for about 15 seconds just coughing along barely holding 500rpm (adding any throttle caused it to stumble further)… If the ignition coil doesn’t fix the problem I am going to run through the fuel system…. I am waiting for the day when I figure this out I know it will be a glorious feeling.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Well here I am on the side of e-470. Took the coil out and found that the backside has a very noticeable heat spot (looks like its burnt from the inside) on it. I'll post a pict when I get home, luckily I have a replacement part that I got form The geniuses at the Denver autozone.... Unluckilly it's the wrong one.... Just pisses me off....

Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Breakdown number 2, 4 miles from the nearest autozone.... Atleast I now know that by taking it out and letting it cool in the wind saves me about 30 mins of roadside cooldown time.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM

So I was feeling all happy and fulfilled after replacing the coil but I am now crushed as I have stalled out again. I have no idea where to go from here.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

This idea is not mines, it is someone else' novel idea.

Get a can of Circuit Freeze spray from an electronics store. Next time it happens, spray the components in question one at a time to see which one may be causing the problem. The igniter and main relay can cause the problem you are describing; although you did mentioned you replaced them already.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but have you isolated the problem down to fuel or spark? Is there spark at the plugs when it's dead? Does spraying starting fluid into the intake revive the car for a few seconds?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 PM

New information:

Car gets spark when stalled. So its a fuel issue. It worries the shiz out of me to think that it could be the PCM. Can anyone give me a good link on a description on how to test the fuel pressure? I understand the concept but idk how to approach it with my car. I was looking in my haynes and it doesn't give me any valuable info. And I can't find a schrader valve like most cars have as a test port.

Quick Reply: 02' Accord F23a4 Stalls when Hot