General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 Ex 2.4 Hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 12:33 PM
Default 03 Ex 2.4 Hard shifting

Hello, so I am having a very difficult time shifting my manual tranny. Replaced master and slave with Honda oem parts from dealer about a year ago. It has never had the silky smooth shifting since that replacement. It has gotten progressively harder to shift into first gear since that install. I have to press the clutch pedal hard to the floor to get it to shift in semi smoothly. I can feel the car slightly lurching forward as I am pushing the shifter into first. I have rebled the system with a mityvac at least 4 times since the install. Checked the hard line connection and bled agiN last night. No improvement. With car off it feels like it should when shifting through gears. Silky smooth. Car has 282,000 and clutch pulls strong once on gear. No slipping and feels correct. It’s just the clutch engagement and disengagement. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thx

Old 11-13-2021, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Did you go with OEM parts or aftermarket for the master and/or slave cylinder?

There is no adjustment on the slave, but the master cylinder does have a push-rod adjustment. Search for the ericthecarguy video below on how to adjust the master cylinder at about 23 min on the video.

Loosen the lock nut. Make the push rod short with spinning the push rod, then lengthen until it stops (you will feel it). Then you shorten it one turn so there is slight play between pushing the clutch pedal the rod seating. Then tighten the lock nut. Hope this makes sense.

Replacing Clutch Hydraulics 1999 Acura CL/Accord -EricTheCarGuy

Old 11-13-2021, 09:12 PM
Default Thank you pahonda. I will try this tonite.

Thanks I will attempt ASAP.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:04 PM
Default Fixed! Thanks to pahonda

So I tried the pedal adjustment procedure and it worked! My pedal was so far out of adjustment that when I would push it hard it would just allow me to shift. After adjustment I can shift smoothly again. It’s as simple as loosening the 12mm lock nut and spinning the rod clockwise or counterclockwise. Mine needed to be spun clockwise to push the rod toward the firewall. That must make it put more pressure on the Master. Thx!!!!

Old 11-14-2021, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting the solution. I'm glad it resolved the problem.

When you push on the clutch pedal, that push rod pushes against the plunger/piston in the master cylinder. Sounds like you had a large gap between the pushrod and the master cylinder plunger. Spinning the pushrod effectively shortened that gap.

Just be sure you didn't spin to the point where you felt resistance where that pushrod will not let the master cylinder piston fully release. You would effectively have the clutch partially engaged at all times even with the clutch pedal fully released. There should be a gap to ensure the master cylinder fully retracts.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:00 PM

I will definitely recheck my positioning. I do know that I mistakenly dropped the white top piece inside the reservoir. Without it in place I was effectively pushing fluid out of the cap when I pressed the clutch pedal. I found it and all is good after reinstall.