General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Accord Wiper and Pump Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I can get the motor to start with power on 5 but not with power on 2 - via secondary power source. Does that mean the motor is bad?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by semmons23
2 is green and has 11.76 volts

5 is white and has 10.58 volts

This is with key in pos II and switch on high or low

1 blue
2 green
3 black
4 yellow
5 white
A little unsual, if you have a sedan (4-door), the wiring you listed looks like how it would be for a coupe based on the circuit diagrams.

Looking at the electrical circuit diagrams:

Sedan (Grey connector – wire side of female terminals):
  • Terminal 1 (Blk wire) is ground (ground comes via ground connection G302 – behind left front bumper)
  • Terminal 2 (Green wire) should have power when ON or START (power comes via under-hood fuse No. 11 (30A)) – OK
  • Terminal 3 (Blu wire) Motor low input control - provides ground via the Windshield Wiper High Relay in Low Speed Setting
  • Terminal 4 (White wire) PARK/ RUN Output - should have power via the Intermittent Wiper Relay in Run, Low or High Speed Setting
  • Terminal 5 (Yellow wire) Motor high input control - provides ground via the Windshield Wiper High Relay in High Speed Setting

Coupe (Black connector – wire side of female terminals):
  • Terminal 1 (Blu wire) Motor low input control - provides ground via the Windshield Wiper High Relay in Low Speed Setting
  • Terminal 2 (Green wire) should have power when ON or START (power comes via under-hood fuse No. 11 (30A)) – OK
  • Terminal 3 (Blk wire) is ground (ground comes via ground connection G302 – behind left front bumper)
  • Terminal 4 (Yellow wire) Motor high input control - provides ground via the Windshield Wiper High Relay in High Speed Setting
  • Terminal 5 (White wire) PARK/ RUN Output - should have power via the Intermittent Wiper Relay in Run, Low or High Speed Setting

Last edited by redbull-1; 11-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry I was looking at the picture from the wrong side (pin side not wire side). So it should be 1,3,5 are ground

2 is 11.76 and 4 is 10.58

Sorry!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

This is part of the motor test (for sedan):

Disconnect the electrical connector.
  • On the motor side, apply battery power to terminal 2 and ground to terminal 3; the motor should run at low speed and smoothly.
  • On the motor side, apply battery power to terminal 2 and ground to terminal 5; the motor should run at high speed and smoothly.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Seems that it would also mean that the motor will run with power on 4

Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. I'll have to try this tomorrow and see what I find. Could a bad wiper motor cause the windshield cleaner pump motor any issues? Definitely a smaller concern...

Old 11-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So I found the 7000 page honda manual and ran thru the testing process as best I could. I have power on 2 and one of the steps was to check for continuity between 3 and 5 and 2 and 4 on the wire harness so I did. 3 and 5 had continuity but 2 and 4 didn't. the manual said that if I didn't have continuity then to test the motor. Do I or don't I have continuity since one did and one didn't? I tried to get the motor to run using the above steps but it wouldn't. At this point I'm planning on getting a new motor - do you agree?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

1. The test you're referring to sounds like the test for continuity at the Blue the Yellow wires, respectively.
  • For the Blue wire, continuity is tested between the No. 2 terminal (at Relay Control Module - Connector J) to the No. 3 terminal (at the wiper motor harness connector: Grey connector – wire side of female terminals).
  • For the Yellow wire, continuity is tested between the No. 4 terminal (at Relay Control Module - Connector J) to the No. 5 terminal (at the wiper motor harness connector: Grey connector – wire side of female terminals).
2. If you could not get the motor to run with the following steps, sounds like the motor is faulty.
  • On the motor side, apply battery power to terminal 2 and ground to terminal 3; the motor should run at low speed and smoothly.
  • On the motor side, apply battery power to terminal 2 and ground to terminal 5; the motor should run at high speed and smoothly.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I got a new motor and plugged it in and it worked. Now I just have to remove the old one and install it. Thanks for all your help!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

No problem. Glad to hear and thanks for reporting back.

Quick Reply: 04 Accord Wiper and Pump Not Working