General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

04 Honda Accord - Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 01:10 AM
Exclamation 04 Honda Accord - Troubleshooting

Hello All...this is my 1st post on here, all the way from South Africa.

I need some advice as I'm busy troubleshooting what seems to be a "fuelling" issue on my Accord.

Backstory: One day the car drove fine, next morning car cranks with no start. Had my mechanic take a look, they followed the normal troubleshooting steps i.e. check air(fine), no blown fuses, getting correct power voltage at fuel pump, spark(new Iradium plugs), fuel. The latter seemed to point to the issue as we could not hear the fuel pump kick in, after giving it a "love tap" on the tank, the car started again. We replaced the fuel pump....car drove fine for 2 months then it happened again. Got stranded next to the road and the "love tap" trick did not work. Towed the car home, mechanic came to look at the car a few hours after, the car started again. This time we send it to an auto-electrician he found that the fuel relay was running hot and replaced it.

It's been two weeks since I got the car back from mechanic/auto-electrician and yesterday the same thing happened i.e. while driving the car switches off, when trying to start it, it just cranks and doesn't start. Did the "love tap" trick and it worked. When it switches off, the dashlights stays on, no green key light flashing - that also rules out any key FOB issues.

I'm kinda lost and hoping you guys and shed some light on next steps to take.

Thank you....much appreciated

Last edited by MrWayne111; 06-18-2024 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-18-2024, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

When you first get in the car, turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car. When the check engine light does the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds to pressure the system. This is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc. and listen carefully. Once you know that sound, let us know if that sound is missing when you have the no-start.

For troubleshooting, you can try a few items. Connecting a fuel pressure gauge would help verify you have no/low fuel pressure, then you can troubleshoot the fuel system. If you don't have fuel pressure when the car doesn't start, you'll have to determine if the fuel pump is missing power or ground. If you are missing power or ground, then work backwards electrically. If you have good power and ground to the fuel pump and no fuel pressure when the car isn't starting, then the fuel pump is likely the culprit.

Old 06-18-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When you first get in the car, turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car. When the check engine light does the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds to pressure the system. This is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc. and listen carefully. Once you know that sound, let us know if that sound is missing when you have the no-start.

For troubleshooting, you can try a few items. Connecting a fuel pressure gauge would help verify you have no/low fuel pressure, then you can troubleshoot the fuel system. If you don't have fuel pressure when the car doesn't start, you'll have to determine if the fuel pump is missing power or ground. If you are missing power or ground, then work backwards electrically. If you have good power and ground to the fuel pump and no fuel pressure when the car isn't starting, then the fuel pump is likely the culprit.
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

When I do get the no-start situation, there's definately no buzzing sound of the fuel pump. I will definately check fuel pressure should it happen again. In the meantime I found that the previous owner grounded the speakers/amp at the same spot with the fuel pump, basically slapped ontop of other ground wires (removed it since). I'm also replacing the fuel filter as I have not done that since taking ownership of the car. I'll report back if the issue persist, thanks

Last edited by MrWayne111; 06-18-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely cleaning up the ground might solve the issue, since you can't hear the pump prime when you have a no-start. Just avoid throwing parts at it until you can do some diagnostics first.

Old 06-19-2024, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Definitely cleaning up the ground might solve the issue, since you can't hear the pump prime when you have a no-start. Just avoid throwing parts at it until you can do some diagnostics first.
Think we found the issue...basically revisited the loom (was duck taped up) going into fuel tank, opened it up and came across the below exposed wire, which seemed to have been badly damaged. This could explain the intermittent connectivity issues or car cutting out if for example I hit a bump in the road (car is lowered). The wire have been replaced, will monitor but hoping that was the issue.. Thanks again for your input.