General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'04 V6 Accord Sedan A/C Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 05:13 PM
Default '04 V6 Accord Sedan A/C Issue

I have an '04 V6 Accord Sedan. The air conditioning does not work - it blows, but it's just room temp. It recently stopped working. I refilled the system with R134a but that didn't solve the problem (It's never been refilled in 16 years).

Looking at the A/C compressor, the clutch on it is not engaging, which makes me think of two items:

1. The electronic command to engage the compressor clutch is not working
2. There is something wrong with the clutch, so it's not engaging.

I'm leaning towards #2 being the issue. Before I start buying parts, is there any way for me to 100% confirm what the issue is? If I have to replace the clutch and compressor, about how many hours of work is that?

Old 06-20-2020, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Take us through the steps you did to refill the system. You risk damaging a good compressor if you overcharged the system when you initially refilled it.

Was the a/c blowing cold, then suddenly stopped working?

Start with the easy stuff first.

Try reading HVAC codes. See the link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum.
Turn on the a/c with the engine running. Do both radiator fans turn on?
You can unplug the electrical connector to the compressor. It should be a 1-wire connector to the compressor with a blue/red wire. It could be a 3 wire connector if your accord has a pressure safety switch. Regardless, connect a test light between the blu/red wire and secure the other end to ground. Make sure your test light or wire harness is away from the moving belts. Turn on the engine and a/c. See if the test light turns on.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's bad to add Freon in a system. It's a closed system and should never need filling unless there is a leak and needs to be fixed. If you have gauges you can tell instantly if the compressor is bad internally. If you overfilled it the clutch should still turn on, it will keep cycling on and off. Being that the clutch is not engaging I would check a/c switch and the relay. If those 2 are good then it's time for a new compressor (I don't like replacing clutches).

After 16 years and never been serviced I think you had a good run

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 06-20-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

To follow-up on SJ's remarks, you first need to determine if you have an electrical problem where no power is causing the clutch not to engage. The test for power on the blu/red wire will tell you which direction to proceed. I recommend testing before ordering any parts, because you really don't know the underlying issue with your a/c system.

No power means you need to look upstream to the switch, relay, etc and do some electrical troubleshooting. This could be a simple quick and inexpensive repair.

If you have power, then you will need to address the clutch and/or compressor. The type of repair will depend on your tools, skill level, and time. The clutch is easier and less time to replace vs replacing the compressor. The downside is the compressor could still be bad. We can go over the pros and cons if your testing leads you down this path.

It is important to describe how you tested and recharged the R-134a in the a/c system, because overcharging can be dangerous and can damage the system. An a/c system is a closed system, so you don't necessarily lose significant amounts of R-134a over time. A 16 year old car could potentially have all the R-134a when it was charged at the factory. Then throwing a can of R-134a could have overcharged the system.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM

Thank you for all the help guys - it ended up being a bad relay for the A/C compressor in my fuse box - $5 part and it blows cold again!

Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 PM

quick question of concern,,,,Since it turned out to be a relay and you stated that you refilled the system ,, did you do evacuate the system before you recharged it?? how much r134a did you add ?
you might want to make sure system is not overfilled or it will damage your compressor

Old 07-28-2020, 08:52 PM

We used a pressure gauge to make sure that there is an appropriate amount of refrigerant in the system, it's been working fine for a few weeks now.