General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

06 Accord idles funny after oil change. Please help! I suck at cars!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How in the heck is it possible to disconnect a hose during an oil change. Bolt, filter and oil cap no hoses even close. But glad you got it worked out.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Well in my noob opinion. At a minimum there are 2 options.

option 1 - This hose disconnects on its own. Which is possible I am sure but there was a manual tension ring (best I can describe) that slips over the hose once connected ideally to add extra protection to hold it in place. The tension ring was still tense around the rubber hose when I found it disconnected. The rubber hose was near the mass air flow sensor I believe? I did not have to remove any plastics to see it. This hose didn’t require any tools to connect or disconnect as well. It could easily be pulled off or connected.

option 2 - human hands pull it apart while under the hood hoping I’ll come back into the shop asking to get it fixed and drop some $$$. I’m more into option 2 because like the wu tang clan said - cash rules everything around me”. I’m a believer that most things in the world happen to make money for someone. Hose was in perfect condition with no signs of cracks and was grossly unconnected. I’m no mechanic but I’m in the world of professional sales and although I don’t practice sneaky tactics I can see this option being more realistic. Only reason I think it happened at an oil change was because before the oil change my car always worked flawlessly (I love this high mileage shawty) and immediately after it was acting up. It stinks if they did honest work for me but after this situation I’ll be getting a new set of hands to work on my car as needed or my own if I can do the job.

you never know when you catch someone on the last day of a job either and they just don’t give two f’s ya know?? But at the end of the day you all were an excellent source of help! I REALLY appreciate the help and so does my old girl of an accord! Love this whip!

Old 10-27-2019, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe they checked your air filter and accidentally left that hose disconnected when they resembled? Just trying to throw option 3 if it was just a mistake on the technician.

Glad you found the issue, got it fixed, and let the forum know the outcome.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:56 PM

That does sound like a reasonable 3rd option! You all are awesome!

Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

So the hose that connects at #2, 3, & 20? That's the other side of the crankcase breather system, so I probably should have mentioned it when I showed the PCV valve & its breather hose...

It seems reasonable they might have checked your air filter. If so, and they didn't try to sell you a $40 air filter, then I guess they were honest enough to admit your filter wasn't dirty. When I had a 2003, it was a real pain to open the air cleaner housing without disconnecting or disturbing that hose. So they could have noticed that it came off, or maybe it simply pulled partway off and looked like it was still ok.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:24 AM

^^ that is exactly the section of hose that was disconnected. It makes me feel better that it was taken apart to check the filter quality. Man again you guys are awesome and know your stuff! Joining this forum was the best help I could have asked for!