General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

07 Accord intermittently starts. Diagnostic don't give a code!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Default 07 Accord intermittently starts. Diagnostic don't give a code!

When I turn the key to the 1st position all lights, radio, windows etc work. When car does start it starts strong. When it doesn't start it doesn't do anything at all. No clickin noise or anything. If I mess with the steering wheel and keep trying to start it, it will eventually start and runs great when it does. Help?!

Old 05-05-2017, 12:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I would first check the battery and make sure all neg and pos connections are clean (free of corrosion) and are on tight. If everything checked out fine, your starter is likely the culprit.

BTW, this is a very typical symptom of a bad starter which needs to be replaced (or rebuilt if you know how). Sometimes the connections on the starter work themselves loose over time so feel the connections on the starter with your hand and see if that is the case. If they are all tight and solid, then your starter is probably bad. If you feel something loose in there, then you probably just need to tighten them down.

Autozone has lifetime warranty on their starters so that is a great deal if you plan on running your Honda until it dies

Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Celicool
I would first check the battery and make sure all neg and pos connections are clean (free of corrosion) and are on tight. If everything checked out fine, your starter is likely the culprit.

BTW, this is a very typical symptom of a bad starter which needs to be replaced (or rebuilt if you know how). Sometimes the connections on the starter work themselves loose over time so feel the connections on the starter with your hand and see if that is the case. If they are all tight and solid, then your starter is probably bad. If you feel something loose in there, then you probably just need to tighten them down.

Autozone has lifetime warranty on their starters so that is a great deal if you plan on running your Honda until it dies

Celicool, Thank you so much for responding. I will get those things checked out and be back if it doesn't work 😁

Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Parts stores like autozone can also test the battery, alternator, and starter as a free service. They were able to tell my starter drew too many amps even when it started normally.

My TSX has the same engine as your accord. I replaced the starter with a Denso starter. I think the quality of autozone parts can be hit or miss. The starter is under the intake manifold, so I only wanted to replace the part one time, so the Denso was worth the extra money for me.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Parts stores like autozone can also test the battery, alternator, and starter as a free service. They were able to tell my starter drew too many amps even when it started normally.

My TSX has the same engine as your accord. I replaced the starter with a Denso starter. I think the quality of autozone parts can be hit or miss. The starter is under the intake manifold, so I only wanted to replace the part one time, so the Denso was worth the extra money for me.

Thank you PAhonda. I appreciate the info!