General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

08 accord squeaky brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 08 accord squeaky brakes.

hey guys so another question my brakes on my used accord have been squeaking. im very much aware of the 08-11 brake problems with honda. i was told that replacing the pads from honda with aftermarket ceramic pads will remedy my squeak. any input? if so which brand you guys recommend?

thanks in advance

Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Squeak is usually caused by the metal backing "rattling" in the caliper not by the pad material contacting the rotor. So what brand, that will start a debate.

To get rid of the squeak, make sure the hardware is good, clean and lubed. Shims on the back should also be lubed. Slides on caliper pins as well.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks poor I should actually learn to use the search more often i searched my issue on this forum and it seems many of us 08 honda owners have had the same issue also found out that it was a design flaw by honda and they have issued reimburstments and a new brake pad and design so imma hop over to my dealer and have them check it out

Old 04-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

oh, sorry. I thought you already had the rear replaced by Honda. I think the change actually had to do with the design of the metal backing plate....anyway, sorry for miss understanding.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Default 08 accord coupe

ok my brakes started squeaking (more from the rear) like a month ago. my husband looked at the car and said i just needed new pads. then i hop on here and see that Honda issues some sort of reimbursement for this "flaw".... is this true? do I have to take the car to the dealer I bought it from? or can I go to any Honda dealer? thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sb123
ok my brakes started squeaking (more from the rear) like a month ago. my husband looked at the car and said i just needed new pads. then i hop on here and see that Honda issues some sort of reimbursement for this "flaw".... is this true? do I have to take the car to the dealer I bought it from? or can I go to any Honda dealer? thanks!
The rear brake settlement period is over, it was handled by a third party administrator.

Honda has since revised the rear brake pads for your car. The new pads consist of different pad compound, added V-springs, and instructions to check the upper and lower rear caliper slide pins and switch as necessary. The new pad compound and possibly the switching of the slide pins would help the brake pad wear problem. On most cars, the V-springs are more to help dampen vibration and noise. Re-greasing the caliper slide pins with silicone brake grease would help noise problems if they lack the grease.

For 2011 and current model Accords, Honda also revised the rear brake caliper.