General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1981 EL Accord Ignition problems :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 07:52 PM
Question 1981 EL Accord Ignition problems :(

Hello to the forum. I am having some issues with my old Honda that I've been trying to solve for a while now. This story might make you a bit sad though
1981 Honda Accord EL 1.6l 4cyl 3d Hatch Back, Australian Emissions
Long story:
Last year I bought a beautiful 1981 Accord from an old machinist in Coffs Harbour NSW, for $3500AUD with lots of rego etc. There was not a thing wrong with it at all. He owned it since new and it was always garaged. what i didn't know was that for some reason he hadn't changed the timing belt for who knows how long (rookie mistake for not checking) and it snapped when I was cruising down the M1. I was busy with work and let it sit for a little too long so it got a good hit from corrosion. After about half a year I managed to find the last bloody timing belt in the country and fitted it but I couldn't get a spark for the life of me. found the distributor to be pretty corroded so I replaced the entire thing (again rookie mistake). But still it wouldn't spark. I've thrown my wallet at it and pretty well replaced everything but still no avail! I'm sure its actually a simple problem and I just have no clue what I'm doing, so let me know
Long story short:
No engine spark/ignition. replaced: Distributor, Coil, pickup coil (twice) Igniter controller, leads and plugs. Continuity on all connections is good, voltage checks and resistance checks. Cant fault anything...
The air filter is currently off for ease of access which means a lot of vacuum hoses are disconnected. Important to note that the replacement distributor is from the Canadian model and not the Aussie one not sure if that matters...
Cheers guys and girls,
Elliot

Old 11-26-2021, 09:03 PM

Hi all, in the time I wrote this I came up with an idea that seems to have worked.
It turns out that the Canadian distributors "pickup coil" is a self contained igniter unit. Where on Australian models the igniter is mounted on the body. By simply removing the body igniter and rewiring the "pickup" in the distributor as the igniter, everything is hunky dory.
spark galore with great power as everything else is brand new!
This also leaves me with 2 x Body Igniters for Australian model Accords + a spare Canadian Igniter/pickup both of which I would be happy to sell on to another helpless accord owner
If anyone is having similar issues i would be happy to upload some pictures.

-Elliot