General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1985 Accord-Manual trans questions(bad clutch etc)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know, it helped by adjusting the cable. Thank you for helping a fellow out. Well appreciated.

-One note, to adjust the plastic *** you have to turn, you have to pull up on the cable quite hard, to be able to turn that darn thing.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

My pleaseure-if anything I posted helped?

Good to hear, thanks for posting back with the answer. It helps for the future-those that search and those that might read and pass on.

Enjoy.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Old thread resurrection.

Turns out the cable adjustment was a temporary fix, but not the long term solution like what it seemed. The clutch is really slipping now, and I parked the car and drove my Datsun instead. I finally got back around to having some time to use for the Honda.

I went ahead and bought myself the shop service manual, and not everything is straight forward in the manual, but it'll definitely help. I also ordered myself a Sachs clutch kit, its on the way.

One dilema though and questions arise.

Dilema: I need a new gasket for the transmission housing, but no one seems to offer one. Someone help with where I can get one.

Questions: Other than dropping the transmission, that seems to be easy, I am a bit confused with removing the wheels/axle and ball joints etc. Can people enlighten me on that procedure? (below is what I think to be the order of removal)..but it may need correction.

Remove wheels, axle, transmission, pressure plate, clutch, and then re-install? If more in depth information can be applied to the removal of the wheels, axle, and just before the removal of the tranny, I'd be very happy, and any pointers and things to look out for would also be appreciated greatly.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:08 PM

UPDATE, is there actually NO transmission gasket ? I may have interpreted the manual wrong to think that there was...

Other than that, I updated my SIGNATURE to include model information etc.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

The ericthecarguy site sells a video on how to replace a clutch in an early 90s integra. This won't be identical to your accord, but the same steps essentially apply.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I did the clutch in the 81 2dr hatch many moons ago.....15~20 years. Sorry don't remember any "tricks". Should be kind of straight forward.

One question, I didn't see any reference to replacing (new ones have gotten real cheap) or resurfacing the flywheel......IMO, a must. EDIT: Plan on a new one, just like brake rotors there is a MIN thinkness on these, so not knowing how mnay times it has been turned before???

Then, hope this will be the only and last time you see it, so while there, replace the rear main seal.

Last, to prevent early failure of the new clutch, re-adjust cable once the new parts are installed.

Last edited by poorman212; 08-29-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added info
Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Late reply:

Clutch install went good, but took VERY long. Like 20 hours long. It was my first time doing anything transaxle so it was quite the frustrating experience at times. I got mad, then left and took a break and then came back to it.

Now the clutch is in and it rides good, and it feels good too. Something's a little weird with the clutch cable adjustment though still, it feels really good at times when shifting and other times it feels like it doesn't grab the clutch properly, it could just be the speeds at which I'm shifting. For example I may shift early so it "drags" persay to get into the next gear. And other times I shift perfect, and slowly accelerate to save those mpg's.

One terrible thing I encountered when installing the transmission was that darn rear tranny mount. WHAT A PITA. I actually just couldn't do it after hours of trying and tweaking. It's like something with the engine mounts shifted, and the rear tranny mount just was impossible to connect to the tranny housing. So I sent it in to the shop to connect the rear tranny mount, and also tap out the screw where the clutch torque lever/bar connects. It was rusty so I snapped it off accidentally. Cost me 70$ for those 2 fixes. But way worth it to me.

I encountered a problem with the carburetor, but am posting that elsewhere. Thank you for the help Accord community. I appreciate it a lot.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Have you changed the fluid in the trans? When you put the clutch in, did you replace or have the flywheel resurfaced?