General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 accord massive carb flooding

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 PM

fuel was dead center in the sight window.. url i posted above... its a dirty one but the angled cut pipe above the barrell fuel is pouring out that big one and the one over the smaller barrell - smaller angled cut pipe. float looked good and moved freely up and down with the finger.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 PM

not leaking int he blue circle... pouring out those pipes... not sure what they are called.. perhaps overflow since they clearly are connected to the fuel and it pours down into the carb.. I mean ALOT of gas

Old 04-03-2014, 06:59 PM

is it possible the float to be ok since the fuel was in between the window but needle not seat and allow that much fuel to back up and out those pipes? seems like too much fuel but heck what do i know

Old 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

The only pic/url I found was a pic of the top of the carb. Nothing from the side looking at the sight glass.

What happens if you do as I said and pinch the fuel inlet?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Default follow up

that pic was a generic... i tried to circle in microsoft paint the parts but it said it wouldnt upload. The fuel was fine in the window dead set middle. i didnt get a chance to pinch the fuel line.. What is supposed to happen when i do that ? That would prevent fuel from getting in i understand... I am trying to understand how that much fuel would spill out those two pipes.... i cannot imagine that much fuel getting past the needle that fast. I cannot even determine what those parts are for.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 PM

are there two bowl vents? in that drawn diagram thats what it looks like it is and would make since if the bowl is overfilling and pouring out the vents

Old 04-04-2014, 08:05 AM

The float can fill with fuel and get heavy, which could be your problem. Did you shake it around and listen for fuel inside when you took it off?

Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by huntersdl
Once you take the carb mesh round screen off you see two angled cut metal pipes that point basically over each barrell. Fuel is pouring out those into the carb and over after ignition and then it fills up and over and dies.
Those angled metal pipes are the bowl vents. Your carb has a float and/or needle-seat issue...

Old 04-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Carb testing fine so tested fuel pump 10 psi. What the heck

Old 04-04-2014, 06:05 PM

ok sorry was on my smartphone and i hate typing... the airtex E8371 was pumping at atleast 10 psi as my guage only went to 10. I tested 5 times at the fuel line that would have gone into the carb. Seems to explain the crazy amount of fuel. Per the airtex tech that fuel pump shouldnt pump more than 4 psi from the built in part - i will call it a regulator or whatever it is really called. I took back to advance and they pulled up the part and it doesnt look liek the part they have on their screen (he said it should be the correct picture - i assumed it was a generic pic). He ordered another and shoudl have tomorrow and we will physically compare the two to see if any physical differences. He said something about the possibility of having 1) bad pump 2) someone put the wrong pump in the box (actual pump didnt have a stamped part # so we had no way to really know), 3) an industry standard part # being incorrect for this application. Meaning EVERYONE who lists the E8371 as proper for the 89 accord carb models is incorrect. I frankly find #3 hard to believe in that surely in this entire country i am not the first to find that this model wouldn't work for this car. More to that point - the fact that the tech said the E8371 shouldnt pump more than 4 psi and it clocked at ATLEAST 10 means to me that i have the wrong pump or a defective one. Has anyone else used the Airtex E8371?

Quick Reply: 1989 accord massive carb flooding