General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Honda will not start without Jump

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok Texas Honda. Tried to get codes. Since instrument panel is not displaying I looked at the blinking leds on the ecu itself. Not sure this is valid, but all that I have. Pulled BackUp light fuse, and then shorted diagnostic connector. Result was 6 short blinks of led over and over. My uncertainity was also enhanced when I discovered that the lights would blink whether I shorted the connector or not. Even removing the backup fuse resulted in the same repeating 6 blinks occurring the moment I turned the ignition to on position.
Any more suggestions? Is reading the LEDs off of the ECU as I am doing valid?

THanks

Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mikek
Ok Texas Honda. Tried to get codes. Since instrument panel is not displaying I looked at the blinking leds on the ecu itself. Not sure this is valid, but all that I have. Pulled BackUp light fuse, and then shorted diagnostic connector. Result was 6 short blinks of led over and over. My uncertainity was also enhanced when I discovered that the lights would blink whether I shorted the connector or not. Even removing the backup fuse resulted in the same repeating 6 blinks occurring the moment I turned the ignition to on position.
Any more suggestions? Is reading the LEDs off of the ECU as I am doing valid?

THanks
It is valid, you have one of those early Accord ECUs that can be read off the ECU unit. Code 6 should be the ECT - water temperature sensor.

"http://techauto.awardspace.com/ecu.html"

Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Since you removed the fuses and test light remained on, there is a draw somewhere. Most likely is an aftermarket device; radio, car alarm, etc. Check starter primary drive lead for a draw. It might be possible for a draw on the starter to occur. All power except to the starter passes through fuse box, so eliminating starter is a good first step.

If not, you will need to start from under hood fuse box and search for the drain path.

In my 90 Accord manual (91 should be same), Code 6 is the shift position console switch circuit; bad coupler, wire fault, or bad shift position console switch. Anyone spilled coke on the console? This will cause shift problems and torque converter lockup won't work. Diagnostics are available in shop manual for this fault. It's a bit of trouble to remove console, so I would probably replace switch once console is open. A used switch should be relatively cheap. Found one on ebay. Search "1994 Accord Console Shift Switch OEM #6777". It might be possible to clean your old switch.

good luck

Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Checking the coolant temperature sensor, the connector crumbled in may hands!! Does anyone know what the spec is for that connector and where to purchase one? Is a simple splice to connect new one or more complicated?

Thanks

Old 10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

The repair will depend on what exactly happened to the plastic to the electrical connector. I don't know if the dealership can order a new one. Your best bet may be a junkyard. The pins do push out of the electrical connector, so you may not even need to splice them.

Are you still having the charging issue?

I would also unbolt the ground on the thermostat housing. See pic. Clean up the bolt and eyelet with a small wire brush. I think the hose is mislabeled and is the lower radiator hose.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

THanks Kidashley25. Will check it out.

PA, yes the light continues to come on with teh short check. Since I am not running my AC, i have not had a starting problem as of yet, buyt the evidence of the short remains. Including no instrument panel lights the majority of the time. They do come on and function occasionally. WIll check the ground.