General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Default RE: 1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's

i somehow ended up with two seperate forums. so basicly i reset the ecu today, bleed air from coolant, new plugs, rotor, cap, wires, cleaned iacv other day, all to no success. next going to check the FITV, do these commonly need replacing?if so if i can get one for about $10, should i just replace it, or if it isnt broke, dont fix it?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Some folks have had success taking the FITV apart, cleaning & tightening it. Under the round cover there's something that works loose. I'm vague because this problem hasn't happened on my cars. Search for a thread with pictures about doing this. Any one of these components might be bad enough that cleaning won't fix it.

Between all this and the leaking sparkplug seals, you have several things happening. It's gonna seem like nothing helps until it's ALL fixed up. But don't despair, you're making it better with everything you clean up.

All that stuff works together to control idle, and if 2 or 3 things are dirty/clogged/broken, then the entire system gets unstable. On top of that, your oily sparkplugs can cause misfiring to further confuse the system.

IACV is supposed to adjust itself to stabilize the idle, controlled by the ECU. It doesn't have wide range to provide fast-idle when theengine is cold.

FITV is supposed to open when cold, to provide fast-idle. Then close completely. This is simply based on temperature of the coolant running thru it.

There's also that other air valve #9. I'm not really sure what it does.

PS:
That rubber cap on the tranny vent is NOT airtight. There's a passageway for air, facing downwards. Hard to explain... But don't plug the tube or you might start blowing driveshaft seals.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a link with some pics on how to fix the FITV. That plunger needs to be removed, cleaned, then screwed all the way back in the valve body.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=699787

Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 AM

well its about 2am, and i just got done cleaning the FITV. i cant start the car cause i'll wake the neighbors. but i noticed wheni took it off and apart, that there is a inner plasticpeice that i unscrewed to take it apart(inside #8), and after a few turns, i thought to see where it was before i moved it. well it was too late so i just tightened it up all the way when i put it back together, which i'm pretty sure its supposed to be.and hope it works. i wonder if that adjustment has anything to do with it. like how much i tighten that inner peice. cause there's a spring inside teh lower part of the FITV that goes up and down with the inner plastic peice in the upper part of the FITV when i adjust it. so i'm going to start her up tomorrow with it all the wait tightened, and turn her off, adjust a little, turn back on.. and keep doing that till i fix it, or things get worse and i put them back. also, if you look at the top diagram a few post back, #6 is the throttle body, i was concerned about the peice on the left side of it(opposite of throttle lever?) its right outside where the two holes inside the throttle body that the loud noise was comming from when i give it gas.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 AM

i just saw your link to the FITV cleaning process. would of made my last post easier to explainif i knew you had posted that. the white peice is what i was talking about adjusting. i just tightened it all the way down. thanks for all your help by the way, i really appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:08 AM

Everyone's Help.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. You did it correctly, it should be tightened all the way down. Was that plunger all the way down when you took the FITV apart?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ericschillin

... #6 is the throttle body, i was concerned about the peice on the left side of it(opposite of throttle lever?) its right outside where the two holes inside the throttle body that the loud noise was comming from when i give it gas.
That thing opposite the throttle pulley is the throttle-position sensor (TPS). It isn't related to those holes. The holes basically just connect back to the IACV & FITV. If your FITV was very loose inside, that's probably a large part of the problem.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM

i'm not sure if the white peice was all the way down , but i think it was pretty darn close when i took it apart. well i just started my car and drove her around the block twice, than took her on the main road for a to see what she had. well she drives about 5 times better than she did before last nite.last nite i took the FITV apart and also got down and dirty with cleaning the inside of the throttle body better. she still seems to be sticking just a little bit, or should i say the rpm's are still staying up for a short second after i left off the throttle. the rpm's dont stay rev'd up as long, but it's still doing it enough. she still seems to be sluggish too till the higher rpm's when i took her on the main road. deffinitly the first improvment since i've started on this project. without a doubt she drives better than i've ever seen her drive since i've had her. we're getting there. Eric

Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM

how much should the throttle be open when the car is idle'ng. it looks like its completley closed when i dont touch the throttle. eventully i'll learn all the technical terms, but the peice inside the throttle body that opens and closes.... should that be open at all ? cause mine looks pretty much closed all the way.

Quick Reply: 1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's