General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 03:41 AM
Default 1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's

ok, so i bought someone's unfinished 1990honda accord 2door. she's almost done, but i cant figure out this damn idle problem. i checked all hoses and they are correct accord-ing to the underhood sticker. when i tap the pedal, or give it gas,. after i let off the pedal, the rpm's stay high for about 1.5 seconds. than drop back to idle speed. if i put it in gear, sometimesthe rpm's rev up by themselves for like 2 seconds, and than eventully idle out. when i'm driving and keep it in gear, but let off the gas, the car's rpm's drop but oncethey hitabout 2000rpm, it stays there and its like cruise control at 2000rpm. my buddy who's a mechanic said to replace the cap, plugs, and wires, cause he said it has a missfire?but idunno.i'm looking for any advice.thanks, Eric

[IMG]local://upfiles/8593/6DF5CADB88A643F8AF5C725479E54D1F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8593/148DE8F769F54635A7C273A51758CEAB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2007, 05:12 AM
MyzO
Unregistered
Default RE: 1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's

could also be the distributor

Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest first cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), throttle plate and inner throttle body at opening to be sure the throttle plate can close properly. Make sure throttle plate shaft turns easily and no binding. Make sure your IACV is working (12V should open). Next disable the IACV and see if you can get a stable idle at about 600-700 rpm by adjusting the air bleed screw at top. If not suspect an air leak (intake manifold or other). Once you get the idle stable as above reconnect the IACV and reset the ECU to clear control code. You should have a stable idle w/ IACV controlling idle speed to about 800 rpm.

good luck

Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM

you know what, that IACV thing, isnt on my car. i looked at the hose diagram under my hood and came to the conclustion that i didnt need that cause i had a manual car. guess i was wrong. see the first thing i did was follow the diagram under the hood and found the car was missing a couple things.. alll cruise control parts, some vaccume box thats supposed to be by the battery, and the iacv as well. so thats probably the problem. my buddy also mentioned the distributor, but i'm tryin to do the less expencive stuff first. so i guess its probably the iacv thats missing huh??? thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:44 PM

plus, i couldnt see where the IACValve is supposed to be connected to the engine, cause i did research to find one, and noticed there was two holes.... its an engine from a 1992. i should get a chiltons or something obviously.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I believe the IACV is connected to the back side of the throttle body. If you don't have one, someone must have fashiioned a cover plate for the opening, or maybe not? That woud definitely cause some idle issues as well as allowing unfiltered air into the engine,...not good. I think you need to replace some missing parts. IACV is probably essential to get a stable idle for all load conditions w/o excessive engine vibration.

good luck

Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM

well i found the iacv, and took it off. is there supposed to be antifreeze running through it? it looks ok, screen looks dirty. i'm going to try to take this thing apart. see what happens. clean her up and maybe that will help.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM

ok, i took off the iacv, douced it with gasoline several times. alot of black ***STUFF*** came out, and the screen went from black to silver, put it back on, but no avail. than i found a new rotor in the trunk and put that one, and still no improvment what so ever. the cap is cracked about 1/2" on one of the plug hookups on the cap. i just drove her around the block, and when she's in drive, she sits at like 1500-2000rpm and holds. any ideas? thanks, Eric

The forum appreciates how angry this is making you because I have felt exactly the same way as you did when working on my vehicles, however, please refrain from using profanity. Thanks, The Managment

Old 03-12-2007, 07:03 PM

[:@]

Old 03-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

First, correct that cracked cap...

Yes, there's supposed to be coolant running thru the IACV. BTW, that IACVcan get confused if there's air pockets in the cooling system.

Unplug the electrical connection from the IACV. While it's unplugged, adjust the idle screw above the throttle bore. If you can't adjust it down, then check this stuff:
Check for vacuum leaks?
Throttle bore full of crud where throttle plate closes?
Throttle cable tension? (It should have a little slack)
Anything else preventing the throttle plate from closing completely?
Air pockets in the cooling system? (bleed screw on T-stat housing)

Quick Reply: 1990 unfinished project. odd idle @ all rpm's