General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Honda Accord No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When there is uncertainty whether spark or fuel is missing, try starting w/ throttle body cleaner or starter fluid sprayed in intake duct for 10 secs.

If no-start, then ignition problem (no spark) is indicated.

If it starts and runs briefly, then fuel is missing; low fuel pressure or no fuel injector signals.

good luck

Old 12-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Has the coil been replaced?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Again, just me but the dist was removed....it is hard to put it 180 out but as we know it can/has been done. At the same time, all of that going on the wires could be out of "place".

So if the OP has spark and fuel and the car won't start after the dist "replacement/rebuild" - check the firing order. 1-3-4-2

Doesn't cost anything to prove me wrong. Put the engine at TDC #1, 19mm on the crank bolt and CCW turn the engine to TDC #1. Removing the spark plugs might help do this. Once there, remove the dist cap is the rotor pointing at/to the terminal on the cap that goes to #1 cyl - belt end of the engine?

Again, just me and as I said I've been wrong before and will be again but this is how I read it right now.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again, just me but the dist was removed....it is hard to put it 180 out but as we know it can/has been done. At the same time, all of that going on the wires could be out of "place".

So if the OP has spark and fuel and the car won't start after the dist "replacement/rebuild" - check the firing order. 1-3-4-2

Doesn't cost anything to prove me wrong. Put the engine at TDC #1, 19mm on the crank bolt and CCW turn the engine to TDC #1. Removing the spark plugs might help do this. Once there, remove the dist cap is the rotor pointing at/to the terminal on the cap that goes to #1 cyl - belt end of the engine?

Again, just me and as I said I've been wrong before and will be again but this is how I read it right now.
Based on what I see in the OP’s post they have fuel at the rail but have not verified if coming out of the injections.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:42 AM

man I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier, I remember I was having this problem with my Honda. it would crank and it sounded like it was going to start but didn't, so I started checking electrical stuff. because I had spark and it was getting fuel. first I checked my main relay, because they say that there are a few bad solders on them but it checked out to be ok. and well to make a long story short it was my ignition switch that was bad. don't know why, I just know that as soon as I changed it, the car started right up. im not sure if you can get ignition switch's checked out or not. so you might just have to buy one. just carefully put it in, and if it doesn't work return it. you just cant make it look like you installed it. hope this helps

Old 12-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Did you think of it simply being an electrical problem?

The crank sensor can mess up starting? Did RPM use to drop suddenly like a power cut? Did you check your TPS and throttle body?

Besides, all are cylinders firing properly? Checked Tappets?