General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Honda Accord stopping while driving. +no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 07:32 PM
Default 1991 Honda Accord stopping while driving. +no start

I've got this issue that I'd like to fix myself, hopefully. Am willing to provide any extra diagnostics/tests if you're willing to give instructions/tutorials :)

The issue specifically is the car will stop while driving, the matter in which this happens is different occasionally. Recently, what will happen is that the gas pedal will no longer be responsive, RPMs will gradually reduce to sub 1k, then the engine will shut off. This has happened twice. Before the car would just suddenly shut off, this has happened 5+ times. These shut-offs happen at any condition, idling, accelerating, or slowing down. They are always followed by a no-start condition until the car "cools down"; though, the last two times have been significantly shorter, with no-start lasting for about 2 minutes or so. The longest no-start to happen was ~20 minutes.

I've only recorded codes from the flashing S light, the check engine light has not stored any codes. The S light codes were [ 1 , 2 , 3 , 7, 8 , 14 ]

There was a period of time (1 year or so) when the car was not being used at all and was stored outside, uncovered, but the issue of stopping while driving had happened once before this period of time.

Another, potentially unrelated issue.
Inaccurate fuel gauge reading (faulty fuel pump?)

What has been done so far:
Replaced distributor - aftermarket. (Local mechanic says that aftermarket distributor ignitors are bad and will fail quickly, not sure about this)
Replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch
After stopping, during a no-start condition, I can get the engine to fire back up if I spray starting fluid into the air intake, past the air filter. I have not done this recently as it takes too much time as the no-starts have generally shortened (I wonder if the colder weather has affected this?)
The TCU or ECU has been replaced (will update on this) EDIT: ECU
The local mechanic had idled it for "four hours" without any stopping, this was about 3 weeks ago
The local mechanic drove it "around town" for a day, no stopping.

I'm willing to give more information/run any tests. I'm hoping I can DIY this as I'm not really ready to dump lots of money on mechanics into this car. Any thoughts are appreciated :)

Last edited by bloomer; 11-01-2022 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

When the car stalls out, turn the key off, then turn to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Listen for the fuel pump to prime for about 2 seconds. This usually happens when the check engine light turns on to do a 2 second bulb check. Turn off the radio, blower, etc and listen carefully for a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back set. Let us know if the sound is missing when the car wont start.

Also listen for that sound when you start the car, so you know what it sounds like.

Old 06-23-2023, 08:06 PM

Hi all!

At the time of the issue, I had read a lot in other threads/forums that a common fix to this sort of problem was replacing the fuel pump relay and had seen that the part wasn't pricey on Amazon. I was hesitant to reply at the time as I thought that the cold weather might've stabilized the issue. Now that it's summer, I can confirm that the issue has completely disappeared.