General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Honda still won't start after pump changed

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 07:44 PM
Default 1992 Honda still won't start after pump changed

I am at the start of changing the fuel pump, but I first took out the fuel tank gauge instead because I didn't know the actual location of the pump. I would rather not have to remove the tank, especially after getting it filled yesterday. If I can locate the pump, I can cut away at the location to do the change.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

That really depends on exactly what kind of car you're talking about...

Old 05-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
That really depends on exactly what kind of car you're talking about...
Yup, year and model would help.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Default A 1992 Honda accord. Just cut away the section above it yesterday.

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Yup, year and model would help.
after cutting away the area above the unit yesterday, I will clear the area and ease it out today. Should I relieve pressure from any lines?

Old 05-12-2020, 02:45 PM
Angry 1992 accord fuel pump

when removing fuel pump, does it come straight up and out? mine is stuck and is not coming up more than an inch. tried to turn, but don't want to bend anything. the extra mount hole past the fuel line catches it.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 PM
Default 1992 Honda still won't start after pump changed

Finally changed the fuel pump, but stiil the same. Unsure if pump goes on whem key on. Changed relay last month- ok since. All fuses ok. but since I never had a Honda before, I thought it was weird that when I take out plug wires, there's oil in each. But as I said, I never had a Honda. ??? Update: After pump in and working, yet no start. Plugs have spark, but when pulled plugs, oil was in every one where spark plug wires are. Plugs were tight, but where is the oil coming from??

Last edited by HikingMike57; 05-13-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

The supply line would possibly have residual pressure (if the pump's check valve is still good). The others are return line (liquid but not pressurized) and vent line (vapor).

Old 05-14-2020, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

This is for the post about oil in your sparkplug tubes. I'm merging your threads from the different forum areas.
We don't use the "DIY" area for asking questions - it's for completed write-ups. So I'm moving this to General Tech.

Two places for that oil to come from; both are rubber seals down in the sparkplug holes.

The top seals are normally sold as part of the valve-cover gasket set. Four rings that fit around the holes in the valve cover. That one is easy.

Farther down, the spark-plug holes actually continue through the camshaft bearing caps. Four of the cam-bearing caps have these holes, and they have an O-ring. But I think you have to dismantle the valve gear in order to get those off. So cross your fingers and hope that its the upper seals.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-14-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:23 AM

As for that, I researched it and saw how to change the O- rings and gasket by pulling the camshaft and turning it over to access the areas. Thanks. Now I just need to see why it won't start after installing the new pump. Got spark, but must check for shorts in wiring. Or could it be from the oil in the plugs?

Old 05-15-2020, 04:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have you checked for fuel? You said there's spark so you should at least be able to start it up. It might not be a smooth idle but it should start. Check to make sure you're getting fuel to the engine. I always loosen the bolt at the filter heading toward engine

Quick Reply: 1992 Honda still won't start after pump changed