General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Honda still won't start after pump changed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:22 AM

Yes, it is getting fuel. Yesterday I changed the coil and checked for fuel by opening the line. It's there. Changing the pcv today and on a different project will replace the O- rings due to oil in the spark plug chambers. I feel that would affect the performance. But that's been like that for a while now, even before the stalling out. I also was going to clean the egr .

Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Was this a car you were driving before it going out? It seems to me that if it was the car had many major issues that was not addressed and it will take you to correct the issues one by one to get a good picture of why it's not starting.

You say you are getting spark and fuel so it should start to some degree. If not your issue is deeper. Crank, Cam sensor chain(timing jumped) etc. only you know the condition of the plugs and to what degree you're getting oil in the tubes.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Spark, fuel, compression, air, and timing are the items to check for a no-start.

How did you verify that you have fuel to the cylinders? Do you have strong gas smell when you pull the spark plugs?

I'd also check the spark plug wire firing order. The order is 1,3,4.2 on the distributor cap looking at the cap from the passenger tire and counting clock-wise.

If you are pulling the valve cover to fix the oil in spark plug tube leaks, put the camshaft to TDC, by turning the engine by hand where the arrow on the cam sprocket points up. Make sure the distributor rotor contact is pointing towards the #1 spark plug wire.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Was this a car you were driving before it going out? It seems to me that if it was the car had many major issues that was not addressed and it will take you to correct the issues one by one to get a good picture of why it's not starting.

You say you are getting spark and fuel so it should start to some degree. If not your issue is deeper. Crank, Cam sensor chain(timing jumped) etc. only you know the condition of the plugs and to what degree you're getting oil in the tubes.
Today ( Saturday) I did the O- rings and PVC. Still cranks but no start. My next move is the egr, but I found it very hard to take out with normal tools. Not much room to get to and very tight. The other issue at the same time is that it's very hard to shift from park. And as it did last month, the D4 flashes when trying to start. I changed the fuel relay weeks ago and it ran fine. Also I put a new pump in a few days ago. I saw fuel by turning banjo nut under hood. Now I'm back to square one. But hey, it's looking better with each job I do. It's a car my friend had and sold it to me for cheap. He sees all I'm going through because he's also my landlord who's as confused as I am.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
This is for the post about oil in your sparkplug tubes. I'm merging your threads from the different forum areas.
We don't use the "DIY" area for asking questions - it's for completed write-ups. So I'm moving this to General Tech.

Two places for that oil to come from; both are rubber seals down in the sparkplug holes.

The top seals are normally sold as part of the valve-cover gasket set. Four rings that fit around the holes in the valve cover. That one is easy.

Farther down, the spark-plug holes actually continue through the camshaft bearing caps. Four of the cam-bearing caps have these holes, and they have an O-ring. But I think you have to dismantle the valve gear in order to get those off. So cross your fingers and hope that its the upper seals.
the previous owner had it sitting for about 1.5 years. I noticed the oil in the plug chambers when I got it. So that had to be done. By putting in the parts I have, I've been making it a step by step process, hoping one will solve it. Most of the things I've done have been from online advice. It ran through the winter with little problems. I feel it may (?) have to do with the difficulty on shifting out of or into park, because now I also have the D4 light flashing when I try to start it.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not an automatic transmission guy, but I don't think there anything from the transmission or shift lever that can prevent it from starting. Only an interlock for the starter, but I think from your description that the starter cranks the engine but it doesn't fire up. Is that right?

New spark plugs?
A long time ago I went around and around with an issue, and when I had it resolved it still would not start. Turned out the plugs were fouled from all the times I tried to start, but they looked just fine. For some reason I was using a random spark plug from the toolbox to check the spark and with that I had a good spark. The plugs were fairly new and I "KNEW" that they weren't the problem...
Eventually I just put in a brand new set of plugs and it started right up.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-17-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:10 PM

If the D4 is blinking then there is something wrong with the trans somewhere. I know if the neutral safety switch is the cause you'll only get crank but not start. I'm not too sure what year model we are talking about here but would be part of the problem if it still blinking. I would check your main relay also. Try to tap it and see if the car starts. Again I don't know the year so I'm stabbing in the dark

The thread is too confusing to give you solid help because you're lacking needed information. What is the year model we are talking about (IMPORTANT).

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 05-17-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

He put 1992 Accord into the thread title, but it disappeared somewhere along the way. Actually, that may have happened when I merged 3 threads into 1. I just tried to fix that but it only changed the title up at the top... (Too lazy to edit every post in the thread)

I thought that the neutral-safety switch would interlock the starter, so then it wouldn't crank. But maybe that's not correct back in 1992??

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-17-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:22 PM

I thought I saw a year before but then I couldn't find.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm not an automatic transmission guy, but I don't think there anything from the transmission or shift lever that can prevent it from starting. Only an interlock for the starter, but I think from your description that the starter cranks the engine but it doesn't fire up. Is that right?

New spark plugs?
A long time ago I went around and around with an issue, and when I had it resolved it still would not start. Turned out the plugs were fouled from all the times I tried to start, but they looked just fine. For some reason I was using a random spark plug from the toolbox to check the spark and with that I had a good spark. The plugs were fairly new and I "KNEW" that they weren't the problem...
Eventually I just put in a brand new set of plugs and it started right up.
Sorry for posting in the wrong window. I finally had it taken to a garage. After I changed the fuel pump relay and the pump, along with the coil, and the O-rings ( whichever I'm proud of doing). I will hear tomorrow in the analysis. Thanks for the help.