General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 LX Has the Shivers at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

If its the balance-shaft belt, I'm more inclined to think it's improperly timed rather than loose/tight.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If its the balance-shaft belt, I'm more inclined to think it's improperly timed rather than loose/tight.
I did line up the line on the front balancer shaft, and the rear one, I put a screw driver in it, while it was about at 5 o’clock. Pretty sure I got that right. I watched videos on it.

But after it was all together And I realized I over tightened everything, and it was howling real loud, supercharger whine.

I just loosened that adjuster bolt up and turn the crank slightly and retightened. Without being able to see anything, covers on.

The whining went away, but I had the strangest feeling the balancer belt is really loose. I’m only guessing and I don’t know if it would cause that issue.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, if the balance-shaft belt is loose enough to skip teeth, it's the skipping teeth that causes the balance shafts to be out of synch which in turn causes the vibration. That's not real damage as long as the camshaft timing is OK.

Make sure the camshaft timing belt isn't loose enough to skip a tooth. That'll damage the engine, where the balancer skipping will simply cause vibration. You can take the upper timing cover off without disturbing the tension of the timing belts. Some people like to do the adjustment while the upper cover is off so they can actually see what's happening.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Yeah, if the balance-shaft belt is loose enough to skip teeth, it's the skipping teeth that causes the balance shafts to be out of synch which in turn causes the vibration. That's not real damage as long as the camshaft timing is OK.

Make sure the camshaft timing belt isn't loose enough to skip a tooth. That'll damage the engine, where the balancer skipping will simply cause vibration. You can take the upper timing cover off without disturbing the tension of the timing belts. Some people like to do the adjustment while the upper cover is off so they can actually see what's happening.
I’m definitely going to recheck it this coming weekend. I honestly had the timing belt spot on, but after I did put it all together and heard the whining, I did loosen that bold up, and turn the crank counter clockwise about an inch. And then re-tightened it and the whining went away. Now I’m nervous that it is too loose

Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

It's probably just fine, but it's also pretty easy to remove the upper cover & look.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM

Video Time!!!!

I ran outside and figured I would film my engine. It isn't the motor running rough, I don't think. Is this too much movement?

First 5 seconds is at idle, in Park.......Seems bouncy in Park?

Then I power braked it in Drive, then Reverse, Then Drive again. Is this bad mounts causing my vibration? Or is this normal movement?

Just as a reminder though, when I do hit the gas and pull out it is very smooth.

Last edited by Slade; 08-14-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Slade
Video Time!!!!

I ran outside and figured I would film my engine. It isn't the motor running rough, I don't think. Is this too much movement?

First 5 seconds is at idle, in Park.......Seems bouncy in Park?

Then I power braked it in Drive, then Reverse, Then Drive again. Is this bad mounts causing my vibration? Or is this normal movement?

Just as a reminder though, when I do hit the gas and pull out it is very smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLAWY70z3VI
Watching the video, I'd say the rear engine/trans mount is shot. I don't think the engine is supposed to move that far. Not sure if it has a front mount either (too old for me), but if it has one, I'd suspect the front mount being shot.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:34 PM

I wasn’t sure how much movement it should have. But it in the first five seconds if you really notice when it’s sitting in park, the engine seems to be wobbling around.

I know there’s a mount directly behind the engine, I don’t know if that’s which one you mean. And then there’s one in directly in front of the engine near radiator like a big dog bone..

And then there’s one near the timing cover. The one in the rear that you’re speaking of is it right of the center of the engine behind it?

Old 08-15-2019, 02:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Slade
I wasn’t sure how much movement it should have. But it in the first five seconds if you really notice when it’s sitting in park, the engine seems to be wobbling around.

I know there’s a mount directly behind the engine, I don’t know if that’s which one you mean. And then there’s one in directly in front of the engine near radiator like a big dog bone..

And then there’s one near the timing cover. The one in the rear that you’re speaking of is it right of the center of the engine behind it?
I'd probably look at the bushings in the "dog bone". I'd also check the rear mount rubber, and if it's supposed to have a hose on it, follow it up to make sure BOTH ends are plugged in.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I'd probably look at the bushings in the "dog bone". I'd also check the rear mount rubber, and if it's supposed to have a hose on it, follow it up to make sure BOTH ends are plugged in.
Thank you! I’ll check tomorrow. Seems like the engine is jumping up at the front, I bet that dog one is wore out. Should I take it apart to check it?

I wasnt sure sure if mine had the vacuum style mount or not. Still learning this car. I’ll see if I can reach or see it. Can either of those cause a vibration at idle?

Quick Reply: 1992 LX Has the Shivers at idle