General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord - Bypassing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 AM

unless you have very small hands and skinny arms and aren't afraid to get scratched up, you will still need to take off,
1) cruise control mechanism, (two 10mm bolts & remove cable from bracket and set aside) in front of power steering pump to reach pump and alternator bolts.
2) power steering pump, to reach alternator
3) this should be #1, disconnect battery (main fuse isn't cheap, don't ask me how I know )
4) alternator, to have good access to a/c pump (take picture or have a good manual w/picture, if you take off all mounting hardware, it may blow your mind if you had to figure how to put the puzzle together)

PS you will probably still get scratched up anyway, gotta love the cramp honda engine compartment. makes me wanna buy a yota next time.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM

Aloha Everyone,

I will be using PAHonda and Brokanic's advice and remove the AC compressor pulley, fortunately, I have the tools that were recommended. I am planning on getting it done this weekend.

No matter the outcome, I can post the results and hopefully, that will help someone else in the future.

Poorman/PAhonda/Brokanic... you folks deserve a "Thumbs UP!"

I am member of a few forums and I must say this is an EXCELLENT group here!

Aloha,

Tom O.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Cool

Aloha Everyone!

As a follow up to this thread... SUCCESS!!! The offending AC compressor has been removed and the new belt from the pulley to the alternator works perfectly!

As Brokanic pointed out...

Disconnect battery
Remove cruise control
Remove the power steering pump and leave belt dangling

At this point the alternator and AC compressor is exposed and ready for the initial test.

I removed the serpentine belt that connects the pulley, alternator and AC compressor.

Pulling the serpentine belt between the pulley and the alternator, the back of the belt would severely rub the AC compressor pulley, so the AC compressor or at least the compressor pulley had to be removed.

Removed the alternator and alternator bracket
Disconnected the AC fittings and removed the AC compressor.
Removed the AC compressor (I was going to remove the pulley itself, but decided to just keep it out all together.)

** Note to get to the lower bolts holding on the AC compressor, the gravel pan has to be removed and the car jacked up (a lift would have really helped... did I say that I was "old"!) No floor jack so I had to use the Honda scissor jack (what a PITA).

Reinstalled the alternator bracket
Reinstalled the alternator
Removed the old serpentine belt and replaced it with NAPA Micro V AT 050375 belt.
Adjusted the tension on the alternator belt
Reinstalled the power steering pump
Reinstalled the power steering belt (there is a tension adjustment screw)
Reinstalled the cruise control
Reconnected the battery
Removed ALL of my tools

Tested engine for function - Voila! Worked like a charm! No more offending grinding noise coming from the AC compressor.

Reinstalled the gravel pan and that completed the install.

Tools:
Metric 10, 12 and 14mm sockets and wrenches
Ratchets

Without the assistance of Poorman, PAhonda and Brokanic, I doubt if I would have had the confidence to do the job. It has been at least 30 years since I worked on cars.

My only complaints are... The darn engine box is so small it is difficult to work in. The other complaint is the darn car is so low to the ground, I was bent over at the waist the entire time! Lol!

But in all seriousness, the job was very straightforward and certainly a DIY type job. I do have pics but don't know if this forum wants them or not, so I left them out.

Aloha, and again, my most deepest and humble THANKS for all of your help!

Tom O.