General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord CEL need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Default 1993 Accord CEL need help

okay i recently got myself a 1993 accord. when i got it the guy sold it too me cause he said it would run weird sometimes bot fine other times.. CEL was always on. what ever i bought it.. so i drive it and its fine for about 3 days then it starts to buck sometimes like ill start it itll be fine. shut it off then when restarted itll buck and hesitate bad. shut off then turn on its fine.

get home i jump the blue wire and read code 9 the 1 and only code.. Sweet. look it up CYP is bad. whatever i buy a distributor. get it install it time it 15 btdc when blue wire was jumped to prevent ecu advancing.. okay i go drive 2 hours sweet cel is still off. then all of a sudden on my way home yuuuup she starts bucking again!! this time it bucks for about 10 seconds only if you use moderate throttle then the cel comes on and it runs just fine until it idles itll miss from time to time.. alright fine i return the distributor and get another one i also get 4 ngk plat plugs with ngk wires and a new cap/rotor. install all that and the new distributor and i go drive cool no cel i make it about 1 hour then i shut the car off. left for 10 min came back drove about 20 min and hey what do you know shes bucking again. about 10 sec the cel come on then its fine..

im at a loss right now. i cant pull the code for the cel when it happens because ill shut the car off and jump the blue and what do you know no stored codes. im about to get a coil because why not the rest of the ignition system is new. Where should i go from here ????

Old 12-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

The ECM can't tell the difference between a bad CYP sensor vs. some flaky wiring connection somewhere in that circuit. You need to check the wiring harness to the distributor for any problems. Having the same thing happen with 2 distributors really points to wiring or some other issue with that circuit for the CYP sensor.

I'm going to move this to General Tech. where more people will see it. The "HAF Help" section is for questions about how the website works, not questions about your cars.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

On the odd chance, has it sat out in a rural area where mice or cottontails could have climbed into the engine compartment? They chew things usually sensor leads; I'd visually inspect all of them. Cottontails do climb up, but not jack rabbits.

While not a perfect match to your symptoms, your problem is electrical, and I've had these critter caused problems before. I have a '92 now, had a '93 earlier. Luck

Old 12-31-2020, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

The ECU should store codes even when the CEL is not on, so recheck your codes to see if you still have a code 9 or maybe some new codes.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:10 AM

Thanks!

Well the car lived its life in a small town moved a lot it was an only family car until they got a new one and sold this. but i guess that means nothing anything could have gotten on there.. visually there are no bad wires for what i can see. a few more things i have done ill get to see if it helped today. the battery connectors were loose. like couldnt be tighten anymore loose so i out new terminals on wit a new battery (one i already had) because it had a rv deep cycle in i so screw it why not put a proper one in.

i got some parts off a parts car online some local guy. i got his whole ignition system and fuel system - the fuel pump. the dizzy he had threw code 9 instantly cel was on and stayed on just like my original one.. so i went back to the new one i had. im gonna look around the wiring. start probing hopefully find something. could a bad ecu cause anything like this ?

Old 01-01-2021, 08:11 AM

i just cleared all the codes putting new battery terminals and a new battery so ill have to drive for a bit. but after the cel came on i shut the car off and jumped that blue connector and there were no codes. the cel didnt flash at all. with the other dizzy its the second that key turns flashes 9 times

Old 01-02-2021, 03:48 PM
Default Update

Okay so i did some probing found 2 bad grounds fixed that and then found some vacuum linesthat were not hooked up. one to the iac and one to the secondary iac. connected both of thoes started the cause BAM instant cel for code 9... okay.. well now theres something weird. i have a new dizzy on it it throws that after everything checked out. Should i try another dizzy?? i mean i have 2 used ones now and 2 new ones well 1 new one throwing the code. should i just throw the other new one on ??? im about to call this car a loss and drive it the way it is till it dies.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

A code 9 can be a problem with the CYP sensor in the distributor, a wiring problem, or a problem with the ECU. I think you ruled out the actual CYP sensor in the distributor, since code 9 keeps returning. I'd lean towards a problem with the ECU. Since you can find ECUs for pretty cheap on ebay or a u-pull-it junkyard. Just make sure to get an ECU with the same part number as your car.

TexasHonda is a moderator on here that ran into a similar code 9 problem on his 94 accord.:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ode-9-a-36090/

Found this honda-tech post about a fix by replacing a capacitor on the board. Not sure of you soldering skills, but this is a potential fix.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A code 9 can be a problem with the CYP sensor in the distributor, a wiring problem, or a problem with the ECU. I think you ruled out the actual CYP sensor in the distributor, since code 9 keeps returning. I'd lean towards a problem with the ECU. Since you can find ECUs for pretty cheap on ebay or a u-pull-it junkyard. Just make sure to get an ECU with the same part number as your car.

TexasHonda is a moderator on here that ran into a similar code 9 problem on his 94 accord.:

Found this honda-tech post about a fix by replacing a capacitor on the board. Not sure of you soldering skills, but this is a potential fix.

Thanks!! Ill pull the ecu and check it out. ill probe around again and see if missed anything

Old 01-04-2021, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

The other thing that I don't know if you checked, is the wiring from the distributor to the ECM. Continuity on each wire, and checking that each wire is not shorted to ground.

Quick Reply: 1993 Accord CEL need help