General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord fan switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Talking Good Post Jim & HondaDude

With you 2 guys helping with all that good info and Your pics Jim, he ought to be able to fix and find out the problem..If you dont Don then you'd better find yourself a Live Mechanic...

Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Appreciate all of the info Jim and Hondadude!
I figured out both of the switches are working so that is not the problem.

So these are my findings with the fans. Only the one radiator fan on the passenger side comes on ever. It seems to come on sporadically though. It comes on when the car is turned off after driving, very infrequently when the engine is running, but either way it doesn't seem to come on sometimes when the engine is hot. It always will go on when you turn on the a/c though.

Seems like it could be multiple issues. The car is running warm after driving it for a little while. Temp goes down when the heater is on. I can't remember when I had the thermostat changed out and the coolant could be fairly old as well. So maybe that does need flushed out and replaced.

Not having much luck fixing it myself. So I think that I am going to go ahead and take it into a mechanic and get a diagnosis tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help guys!

Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Both fans should turn on when the A/C is turned on.

If one fan does not come on, unplug that fan connector and use a volt meter to see if you have 12V across the two pins with the a/c turned on.

If you have 12V, then replace the fan. If you don't have 12V, then you will have to troubleshoot the electrical problem.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like u got a stuck t-stat and a fan issue,, did u apply power and ground to the fan and see if it works,,,,,,,,,,if it does than motor is ok, if not need a fan motor

Old 09-10-2009, 07:00 PM

So I just heard back from the mechanic and he said that it is the relay for the fan. They had to order the part and won't have it until Monday.

They said the thermostat seemed to be fine and they couldn't find any other issues.

Like I stated earlier though the fan does not seem to come on strategically always. Sometimes the engine is hot and the working fan won't even kick on. There is a fan timer that also helps to control when the fan comes on correct?

I hope this relay is going to fix the problem! Once again I appreciate all of the info guys, I have learned a lot about what all my car's cooling system entails.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:48 AM

So I think that the mechanic's diagnosis for the relay solves why the extra fan is not coming on but I still feel there is another issue going on.

The working fan mostly runs when the car is turned off but rarely when the car is on and running but sometimes. This morning i turned my car to the on position to eject a cd from the stereo, never even turned the engine on. But as soon as I took the key out of the ignition the fan went on.

Or when the car is running and starts to warm up but no fan goes on. As soon as you pull over and turn the car off the fan goes on. While pulled over with the hot engine you can turn the ignition to the on position and the fan will go off, turn the ignition back to the off position and the fan will go back on. What is going on here?? Could this also be the radiator fan timer???

Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

1993 might have a strange system vs. other years. The picture in my post #4 does NOT show the sender for the dashboard gauge nor the temperature sensor for the ECU. I'd expect them to show up on this picture. The parts list says "TEMPERATURE SENSOR" for the one located in the thermostat housing, it doesn't say "SWITCH".

DesertHonda, is 1993 a one-year-wonder as far as fan control logic? Does it have the fan timer like other years before 1998?

Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM

I had found this other picture that has it labeled as "switch".

I had also found this that shows a radiator fan timer.

Last edited by Don Digit; 09-11-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a page to use;
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3...cfanschow9.jpg
Maybe this will clear up some mis-conceptions about which fan runs with the temp switch 'A' closed.
Condensor fan relay coil and Radiator fan relay coil are both completed to ground when the switch closes as the ground side of the coils are joined in the underhood fuse panel.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if the lower radiator hose is (warm, cool, lcold )and top hose is hot there is a t-stat issue ,, if t-stat doen not open up or opens a bit , the fans either will not come on or come on real late thus an overheating issue

start the car up let it warm up and feel both radiator hoses ,,,,,they should feel about the same .

Quick Reply: 1993 Accord fan switch issues