General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord fan switch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Actually examining the hoses after driving a while both seem to be quite warm and about the same temperature. So the thermostat seems to be fine which the mechanic also stated. I should be getting the relay put in for the other condenser fan tomorrow, so both should work.

But the operating radiator fan is still coming on with what seems to be absolutely no logic when it does. I could drive my car around for 45 minutes and it is all warmed up in the sun and the fan will not ever come on even after I turn it off from driving. Then it will be cold in the evening and I will turn my ignition to the on position to get a cd out of the stereo, not even turn the engine on and after I turn off the car the fan will come on for a while.

Do you guys think this could be the fan timer module?? Or what could be creating this irrational cooling fan operation?

Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, maybe the fan timer module. If it's a very $$pendy part, I'd look for some testing to show that it's bad or good. I never had an Accord before 1998 so I don't have any personal experience with that older fan-control logic.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the input Jim! The fan timer module does not look like a very expensive part to replace, just looks like it could be a little difficult to get to.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM

So I got my car back from the mechanic and the replacement relay seems to have both the fans working ok now.

But they must have done something to mess up my A/C because now it doesn't work! When you press the button the green light does not come on and the a/c does not engage. It worked great before I took it to the mechanic. Maybe it is a fuse?

Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Try a new thread with A/C in the title; to attract some other people who are better at AC than I am.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Don Digit
Hi all,

I have a 1993 Honda Accord EX and one of the cooling fans is not coming on and causing my car to overheat. I am trying to figure out which fan is the radiator fan and which is the condenser fan. Also, where the switch is located for each of these fans. It is the fan on the drivers side that is not kicking on.

thanks
1 FAn should only be running to cool down engine and thats the one next to the battery,the other one next to alternator is for your A/C,if you start your car and turn a/c on then you'll see it come on and this helps alot to cool down car faster...check your thermostat it might be defective and not opening up on time...

Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Default 93 Accord cooling fan not coming on when temp rises

First I want to thank everyone for being on this site as all the information and solutions are very helpful. I have read many of the cooling fan posts and reply's, but I still have an issue. I have replaced the thermostat, 3 sensors. One at the thermostat housing, upper radiator hose and one under the distributor, cooling fan relay and fuse in the fuse box under the hood. I inspected the water pump. Boiled the T-stat which opened. Both fans come on when I jump them from the thermo switch connecter. The upper hose gets hot, the lower stays cool. I checked for clogs by disconnecting the upper hose, ran a water in it, then disconnected the hose before the T-stat, clean water came out. Then took T-stat out, ran water in block, water came out upper hose. Somebody suggested to put the fans on a separate switch to run continuous which I can do, but something strange happened. I jumped both the fans with the motor on. Let the car run until I notice the temp gauge still getting hot. So even with both fans running, the car was still overheating. Now I'm stuck because that doesn't make sense. Please help.