General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 honda accord LX auto, brake light indicator goes on, put brake fluid in 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 10:41 AM
Default 1993 honda accord LX auto, brake light indicator goes on, put brake fluid in 2 weeks

I have a 1993 Honda Accord LX auto. My brake light indicator keeps going on, so I put brake fluid in the reservoir. After about two more weeks, it will go back on. I had it checked out by a mechanic, and what the mechanic did was put more Dot 3 brake fluid in. I have been checking for leaks on and off for a while. Furthermore, I could not spot the leak. Up top and from the bottom. I checked near the tires. I also had a brake job done in 2020; keep that in mind. They did the brake drums, brake lines, and brake pads.

So as time goes on, this continues. Now I think it's starting to accelerate. What do you think is happening? Are the brake drums eating too much fluid?

Last edited by plenum; 12-09-2023 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Is your brake fluid is going down after you top off the reservoir?

Old 11-12-2023, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is your brake fluid is going down after you top off the reservoir?
Yes, after about 2 weeks. I refill, then it goes down. And 2 weeks later it comes on. I think it's doing it quicker now.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Brake fluid doesn't get eaten by any component, so you have a leak somewhere. You'll have to inspect the lines to find the leak. You can also pull the vacuum hose to the brake booster to see if you have brake fluid in that vacuum line that would indicate a leaking brake booster. Also look inside the driver's wheel well to see if fluid is leaking to inside the car.

My TSX had a leak recently that took multiple weeks to lower the reservoir and it never leaked on the ground when the car was parked. I pulled the tires and found the leak around the rear passenger line to the caliper. It was pretty obvious once I had the time to inspect thoroughly.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Brake fluid doesn't get eaten by any component, so you have a leak somewhere. You'll have to inspect the lines to find the leak. You can also pull the vacuum hose to the brake booster to see if you have brake fluid in that vacuum line that would indicate a leaking brake booster. Also look inside the driver's wheel well to see if fluid is leaking to inside the car.

My TSX had a leak recently that took multiple weeks to lower the reservoir and it never leaked on the ground when the car was parked. I pulled the tires and found the leak around the rear passenger line to the caliper. It was pretty obvious once I had the time to inspect thoroughly.

Thanks. Leak must have gotten worse, now it's turning on every day (after I refill). I thought that would be the next step is to pull the tires. It might be really easy to find now since the leak has gotten worse.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:27 AM

If you don't see any outer leaks , most likely a leaky brake master cylinder leaking in the booster

Old 12-09-2023, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by nomad2020
If you don't see any outer leaks , most likely a leaky brake master cylinder leaking in the booster
Well, here is what I checked: First, I checked the two front tires. I even took the upper plastic cover off. I didn't see any leak whatsoever. Furthermore, I know that in 2020. I had a mechanic replace some of those brake line hoses. So I'm not surprised I didn't find any leaks there.

For some reason, I think it was 2 weeks ago. There was a puddle of oil under my car (near the back). Because of that, I decided to look at the rear tires. I took them off, and I started the car, and I hit the brake pedal a few times. I went to check to see if there was any leak. Nothing, and I don't see a trace of anything leaking there either. I did the same thing for the other tire. I thought I might have found a leak. But it turns out it was just dirt and grime. There was no leak whatsoever. I have also been driving my car, and at every stop, I look under the car, and I don't see anything dripping.

I have yet to check the brake booster. I'll check that next, thanks.