General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Honda Accord won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

That means you probably don't have spark.

Now spark plugs aren't the only possibility for WHY you don't have spark.
Do you have a multi-meter for electrical tests? I should probably defer to anyone who has (or used to have) a 1993, 'cause I don't know which wire colors are what. (I don't want to tell you the wrong thing)

Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

If your distributor cap, rotor, and/or spark plugs are due for a change, replace them. Inspect the spark plug wires for any cracks or damage. These are maintenance items that can wear out and can mislead you when testing for problem. They should be replaced every 2 years, or 24K miles. Use the OEM NGK that are printed in your manual for the spark plugs.

Spraying throttle body cleaner should mean that your fuel supply isn't the problem, but it is not definitive for lack of fuel. When you first turn the key to the II position (don't try to start), you should hear clicks from the main fuel relay (which you replaced). During those clicks, the fuel pump should turn on and make a faint buzzing/whirling noise from the back seat for about 2 seconds. Verify that you hear that noise.

If you can get a timing light, hook it up to one wire at a time. Have an assistant try to start the car. If the car is throwing a good spark, it should flash the timing light. If the light doesn't flash, then we can give you instructions.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 PM

RE: PAhonda

I don't know if my distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs/wires have ever been replaced....I won this car from a local (major) dealer for being a good student. My bet is they've never been replaced.

Also I was almost positive that I could hear a whine coming from my gas tank (i put my ear to the tank, with my gas cap off when I turned my key to II, and I heard a whining for 2 seconds and then a "click." I assumed that was my fuel pump.

I'll try to do a better "more official" spark check tomorrow. My brother has the day off and is going to help me...he is the mechanic in our family.

Also would you recommend replacing the whole distributor or just the cap and rotor? Also would you recommend replacing the spark plugs and wires if they have never been replaced? My fuel filter, air filter, and most other parts have never been replaced...should I consider replacing these parts?

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

From your description, you heard the fuel pump turn on.

I would not replace the entire distributor, because there are no error codes for the sensors. Its a waste of money IMO.

Definitely replace cap, rotor, spark plugs, and air filter. Get the NGK plugs recommended for your accord.

Honda spark plug wires are pretty sturdy, so I would replace with some from the dealership or NGKs if you see them arching. They are a bit more expensive, but will last much longer than the auto parts stores.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM

WOOOHOOO!!

I just replaced the ignition control module in my distributor and my car fired right up!

Thank you everyone for you comments and help....I couldn't have done it without you...all in all this only costed my $53 to repair, where as it would have cost me a lot more if I would have take it to a mechanic. THANK YOU!

Also would you recommend that I still replace the spark plugs/wires, distributor cap/rotor, fuel fitler, and air filter?

Again, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Sparkplugs = every xxx miles according to owners manual. If you don't know how old they are, GET EM.

plug wires = check by starting cold engine in complete darkness & watch for arcing (dull blue glow). Honda factory wires are pricey, but they seem to last FOREVER if you clean them occasionally with soap & water.

distributor cap & rotor = check arcing same as wires. These probably don't last as long as wires, but they don't cost too much.

fuel filter = not very often (per owners manual)

air filter = spend 90 seconds - take it out & LOOK at it & judge how clean it is...
probably every 20k miles or something like that

Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

fastfox1306:
Good job, how did know to replace the ignition control module

Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 AM

on another forum (honda-tech.com) I started a thread the same time I began this one, and someone had mentioned it...I also called my local Auto Zone and the gentleman there suggested it too. After checking everything else, and on a whim, I changed my ignition control module and viola, it worked!

I am very happy!

Again thanks for the help everyone...I just purchased new spark plugs, cold air intake system, power antenna mast, distributor rotor/cap,and air fresheners for my car. Tomorrow I'm getting my new viper 5701v remote start/car security system installed along with my new Pioneer AVIC-U310BT navigation system installed!!! And after all of that, I'm gonna detail the engine and wash and wax my car...it's going to be a good week....

Again, thank you soo much everyone...I really do appreciate your responses. You all helped me a ton!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Honda-tech has some good smart people. I left there when it looked like it was being taken over by stupid kids that only knew how to insult each other & start flame wars. Maybe it's geting back to being honda-TECH

Old 01-18-2021, 07:10 PM

I also done this but didn’t fix mine idk what else to replace

Quick Reply: 1993 Honda Accord won't start.