General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord DX questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 07:34 PM
Exclamation 1994 Accord DX questions

Is it possible to swap a '94 with an H22A? Specifically I want the Vtech with 217 hp. I hear it is, but I'd need the engine harness out of a Prelude. I'm new to the custom car scene, so I'd also like to know what all would need to be done to make it work.

For right this second I want to know how to make my overflow coolant bottle actually do its job and put coolant back into the radiator, also my cooling system isn't doing a great job. I put a new radiator in it, the fans all work, but I still feel like it gets too hot. I don't know if its due to the water pump or if there's still air in the lines, when I give it the beans it also drops coolant temp rapidly, not sure if that's air bubbles or what.

My dash air vents don't work, how do I fix that? There's like a motor or something but I don't know how to get a new one or how to install it, and when I have the temp on cool it still blows warm air. I bought a new A/C compressor to make my A/C actually work, that seems like a difficult task but I'm gonna do it and make the dealership recharge the refrigerant.

Where is my fuel filter? Is it in the engine bay or closer to the fuel tank? I saw a black cylinder with what look like fuel lines running through it in my engine bay on the left side, but I'm not 100% sure what it is.

Last set of questions.
How difficult is it to replace the chrome trim pieces on the door? Do I need a special tool to yank them off a junkyard donor? Also, my steering wheel is chewed up. How difficult is it to replace it with another one of OEM spec? I know I need a steering wheel puller, but what else do I need? My front right fender is bent to hell too, how difficult is it to replace that?

Old 04-04-2021, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Please don't take this the wrong way, but please consider doing the engine swap last based on the questions you are asking. The H22 swap into an Accord is pretty common and you should find a ton of information on the web. Come back with some specific questions and we can help you.

Google CD7_CD9.pdf. That is the shop manual for the 94 accord, and one of the first few links in the search will let you download the file. It will save you a ton of time when doing your own car work.

I'm not sure on the door trim. My TSX is newer and there are some clips that you have to pry up and slide over from inside the door with the inner door panel removed. The 94 is probably similar, but look in that shop manual or you may find it on YouTube.

Front fender isn't too bad to replace. You may have to pop off the front corner of the front bumper. Shop manual will help show you all the bolts to remove.

I didn't need a puller for my TSX, but I know you can get the pullers from the parts stores as a loaner tool. The specific bolts will be in that shop manual I referenced.

Air in the coolant system would cause your idle to move a bit. Your description sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, and you probably need to replace.

Fuel filter is on the drivers side of the firewall and is a pain to remove the bottom bolt. Your description sounds like you found the fuel filter. It is a pretty big filter, so I'd recommend not replacing it. You need a 14 or 17 mm line wrench that is a crows foot to remove the lower line.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your wisdom my friend! I bought the car after it sat for a year with a cracked radiator, and it had old gas in the tank. I wanted to replace my fuel filter to be sure it wasn't clogged up at all, I even bought one already. I'll have to look into getting a line wrench then. Is there an easy way to bleed my radiator? Its aftermarket, but looks to be OEM spec

I don't have the money to buy an H22 right now, and I don't plan on replacing the motor until it craps out anyway. I want to make the car look nice and drive nice before I do anything drastic performance wise. I want to paint it either a glossy black or a darker metallic grey, and I'm gonna get a nice set of aftermarket rims so it doesn't look like a ****box anymore. Its currently colored a matte primer black, and thats peeling pretty bad. Note, I bought it like that

Old 04-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

There is a bleeder on top of the thermostat housing. When the engine is cold, open the radiator cap and loosen the bleeder. Add coolant to the radiator until the bleeder stops spitting out air and has a stream of coolant. If you still have the issue of the temperature dropping, then replace the thermostat. It is worth the $ to get an OEM thermostat from Honda.

The common diy thread linked at the top of the gen tech help forum has some useful links.

Here a writeup in the DIY forum on changing that filter.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-90-97-a-3045/

Old 04-06-2021, 01:50 AM

Thank you for that! My temp gauge isn't doing weird things anymore its pretty rock steady, I appreciate all the info you've given me