General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord EX help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:31 PM
Default 1994 Accord EX help

I just finished treatment for a leaking head gasket using blue devil sealant. And after replacement of thermostat etc the hose came loose causing it to overheat. I tightened up the hose. Started her right up, now it's idling up and down. And the front part of the engine is rocking as it does this. Bear with me, I'm new at this mechanic stuff! Thanks for any ideas or help diagnosing the problem
Also want to add that I got the codes from the jump terminal on passenger side and it is the ABS Light flashing a long flash, pause then 8 short flashes

Last edited by Melissa Ann Schaut Hallam; 01-25-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Melissa Ann Schaut Hallam
I just finished treatment for a leaking head gasket using blue devil sealant. And after replacement of thermostat etc the hose came loose causing it to overheat. I tightened up the hose. Started her right up, now it's idling up and down. And the front part of the engine is rocking as it does this. Bear with me, I'm new at this mechanic stuff! Thanks for any ideas or help diagnosing the problem
Also want to add that I got the codes from the jump terminal on passenger side and it is the ABS Light flashing a long flash, pause then 8 short flashes
The fluctuating idle speed is from having an air pocket leading to the IAD valve. Bleed the remaining air out of the system (there's a bleeder screw near the T-stat) and it should stop doing that.
I don't know what a code 18 works out for the ABS. It could be a sensor by one of the wheels.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:28 PM
Default TY

I'm going to do this now! ty for your quick response!;

QUOTE=The Toecutter;393280]The fluctuating idle speed is from having an air pocket leading to the IAD valve. Bleed the remaining air out of the system (there's a bleeder screw near the T-stat) and it should stop doing that.
I don't know what a code 18 works out for the ABS. It could be a sensor by one of the wheels.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-25-2021, 06:36 PM

So, how long do I run the car? It's been revving for about 10 mins and bleeder is open. Not any change. Am I supposed to add coolant?

Old 01-25-2021, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Top off the radiator with coolant until you see a stream of coolant come out the bleeder. Then tighten down the bleeder. You can do this with the engine cold and not running.

You may want to pull the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute to clear the ECU.

What issues were you having to add the head gasket leak repair?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:18 PM

Overheating. And loss of power. Terrible fuel consumption. The engine oil looked like a milkshake. And the coolant sprayed from the radiator when car was started with cap off.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Top off the radiator
with coolant until you see a stream of coolant come out the bleeder. Then tighten down the bleeder. You can do this with the engine cold and not running.

You may want to pull the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute to clear the ECU.

What issues were you having to add the head gasket leak repair?

Old 01-25-2021, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Since the engine was leaking that bad, then you likely still have a leaking headgasket. You may want to start the engine when cold with the radiator cap removed to see if you are still getting exhaust coming out of the radiator. The leak fix may help reduce the leak, but the only way to really fix the issue is to pull the cylinder head, checked for crack by magnafluxing, and get it milled. Having perfectly flat surfaces on both sides of the head gasket helps keep a good seal.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:30 AM

You are funny!! I love this car, it's the wagon and perfect for me and my dogs. But I'm not too sure about the magna wutzing. And milling it..any YouTube videos on that stuff??
im just teasing. But thank you for the advice. I may be back. For more.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Since the engine was leaking that bad, then you likely still have a leaking headgasket. You may want to start the engine when cold with the radiator cap removed to see if you are still getting exhaust coming out of the radiator. The leak fix may help reduce the leak, but the only way to really fix the issue is to pull the cylinder head, checked for crack by magnafluxing, and get it milled. Having perfectly flat surfaces on both sides of the head gasket helps keep a good seal.