General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord--Finished Head Gasket and now no Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Quick update about the issue.

First of all, thanks so much for helping out "poorman", really appreciate your help and time.

Couple of things were wrong:

1- Timing wasn't right, fixed and did the timing from scratch for both Cam/Crank by following FSM.

2-Way I did the the valves adjustment, it wasn't right. Did the valves adjustment again and no more 'Loud' Diesel engine noise. Engine is really smooth and quiet as it's before doing the HG with the same power/response as it's previously.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate all the help and cooperation:thumbup:

Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Cool....sounds like good progress

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So here is another question, car idles perfectly fine and dead on, there is no CEL either.

But when I am accelerating, seems like car is shaking a bit or maybe hesitating a lil bit on lower RPMs, though it's very minor but after 2K rpm's it seems pretty steady and run just fine.

Questions:

If the valves are too tight or loose , would the car behave as mentioned above?

Is there anything else which can be checked to make sure nothing is wrong?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by faran; 07-10-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'd start with getting a timing light and check the timing - proper procedure - to be sure it is correct......there is one 5 hours south of you free of charge

Once you have that set, then a re-check of the lash can't hurt.

Not sure, but a good cleaning of the TB never hurts anything...the not sure part is I'm not sure if you did this when you were doing all of the other work.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks, I will keep in mind 'Free' part and option

I have cleaned TB, IACV and FITV.

While driving yesterday, I observed the car carefully and it seems like randomly around 1.8/1.9K RPMS and around 40/45mph, I feel that car is hesitating and not going to 2K RPM or beyond, if I throttle it more eventually it reaches 2K RPM and gets smooth again.

It does not happen all the time, though intermittently I feel that kind of behavior.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the proper procedure?I did the engine timing by following the instructions given in the FSM, by aligning Cam/Crank to TDC and timing marks. Going to check the timing but if it's related to valve lash, would it be happening because valve is tight or it's loose?

Last edited by faran; 07-12-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member

One more thing, if the ignition timing is off, car would idle rough, surge or stall?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry - to be clear, get a timing light and check the ingition timing. You've pulled the dist, you've removed the head, ect - need to be sure the ignition timing is set correctly.

Timing light and jump the service connector.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by faran
While driving yesterday, I observed the car carefully and it seems like randomly around 1.8/1.9K RPMS and around 40/45mph, I feel that car is hesitating and not going to 2K RPM or beyond, if I throttle it more eventually it reaches 2K RPM and gets smooth again.
EGR ports open?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Is it there in the FAQs to check ignition timing? I am going to check the ignition timing but before that I have to deal with another issue. One of the sensor wire broke today while installing the key of the distributor

I have cleaned the all the EGR ports, like 2 months ago and I am sure they will still be clean.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think there is one....willing to make one

Not sure which FSM you have but in the electrical section under Ignition System it covers it.

A few pointers, think about. The marks on the crank get worn with age, so you might do yourself a favor and "re-paint" the marks.....it will make "seeing" them so much better. Also be sure the "pick-up" on the #1 wire is clear/away from the #2 wire...don't want false readings.

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord--Finished Head Gasket and now no Power